Muscle and Bone | Teen Ink

Muscle and Bone

By Nisha BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
Nisha BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you. You've just got to find the one worth hurting for."- Bob Marley.

"Go hard or go home."

"You are stronger than you know. More blessed than you can imagine."

“Oh my gosh, he just fell through the window! Anthony, are you ok?” I said while laughing hysterically. It was a warm fall day in 2003 and a few of my friends and I were walking around outside. We started playing on the lawn of an old, abandoned temple. Anthony backed into a window that gave way. All my friends and I heard was the shatter of glass and Anthony laughing. His laughter was soon accompanied with the laughter of the rest of our friends and tears even came out of our eyes. I walked closer to Anthony and my laughter turned into screams. Anthony had cut his arm after he fell through the glass. His arm was covered with blood and the muscle and bone of his arm were visible. I started to tremble. I was terrified. The sight of his arm’s muscle made me a little woozy, but I could not stop looking at the cut. I wanted to help, but I did not know what to do.
Ever since that day, I have wanted to become a nurse. Most people are only concerned about themselves. I am the complete opposite of these people. Helping people is what I love to do. As a summer job, I worked at my school in a program designed to help incoming freshmen with their transition from middle school to high school. I was a teacher’s aide/tutor in one of the classes. I loved to go to work! Helping equipping these freshmen with common high school skills made me feel good. The expression on these students faces when they figured out a math problem on their own or when they learned the correct way to use “because” at the beginning of a sentence is priceless. Because I helped them understand a math problem or how to speak and write proper English, they will always remember me. The freshmen from last school year (now sophomores) ask me to tutor them in the subjects they find difficult. To know that you’re a part
(even if it’s a small part) of the reason why these students succeed give you an indescribable feeling!
I benefited from the summer job. It taught me how to be patient and gentle when working with other people. It taught me that in order for others to be comfortable, I have to be comfortable. I also learned how to connect the materials learned in class with real situations in life. All my experiences and knowledge gained from this will help me in my career.
The human body is an extraordinary piece of art. The complexity and how everything is interdependent upon each other amazes me. The sight of blood interests me and I have the urge to want to help those in pain. Over the years, I have been to many phases in my decision of my career path. But I know what I want to be “when I grow up,” and that is a nurse.