Continuities & Changes Over Time Essay (Silk Road Interactions Between 200 B.C.E – 1450 C.E.)

During the period of time between 200 B.C.E. and 1450 C.E., the silk road underwent many subtle transformations while at the same time holding on to its original purpose. The trade of spices and goods to and from Asia and Europe remained constant, while the materials bartered slowly changed. The political boundaries as well as the national identities of the encompassing countries also were altered.
Despite changes in materials, the original purpose of the silk road remained intact throughout this time period. Asian commodities were traded with European merchants along the road and vice versa. Asia’s economy, such as that of China specifically, remained heavily reliant on the money from silk road trade, irregardless of the origin or type of goods that fueled such. Comparably, Europe’s economic status remained fueled by Asian trades.
While the basic purpose of the silk road remained mostly unchanged, the goods traded on it and the areas it went through did. While the silk road originally began on a small scale as a simple route of transport for Eurasian merchants, it later grew into an international necessity, not only economically, but culturally as well. Once exposed to Asian spices, fabrics, etc., Europeans became increasingly “addicted” to their newfound luxuries. This, in addition to Europe having the same effect on Asia, gradually shaped both cultures. Because of the numerous political changes that took place during this expanse of time, the route travelled by silk road merchants passed through new nations formed at the collapse of the Roman Empire. This, in turn, shaped the identities of additional nations/cultures along the path of the silk road.
Overall, the silk road’s basic purpose remained intact from 200 B.C.E. to 1450 C.E., but the specific patterns of interactions that occurred along it did not. Empires fell, new nations were formed, and that brought myriad changes to silk road cultures and the interactions between those that traveled on it.

in which box? said...

In all serious, no disrespect intended it does seem that you use "intelectual vocabulary" to strengthen your paper.  May i suggest that you instead smother the reader with sentence structure that truly brings out the importance of the silk roads.  Also, your conclusion didn't seem too related to the rest of the paper and leaves history lovers like myself unfulfilled.

No offence,

in which box?

jkafsj k fdahl replied...
Apr. 13 at 4:03 pm
*seriousness *intellectual *intended. It *May I *offense
KangHyunAh18 said...
Omg, I'm so glad I found this! I was totally pulling a blank on my COTT paper for AP World. This was really helpful with figuring out what I could talk about in my paper! ^^
KangHyunAh replied...
Oops, CCOT*
mary said...
thank you that helped
JacksonDReynolds replied...
My pleasure!
kmae123 said...
Thank you very much!!! I have to write an essay in AP World tomorrow about the CCOT interactions along the Silk Road from 600 C.E. to 1450 C.E. and this was very helpful.
JacksonDReynolds replied...
My pleasure to have been of academic assistance. :)
LeooftheEast said...
Oh, thank the Zeus I found this. I don't bloody remember anything from World History I, so this helps out a lot.
JacksonDReynolds replied...
I'm quite glad that you found it helpful. :)
PR0crastinated said...
dude this was a life saver! helped me alot with the facts & stuff...its alot easier to write one of these things when you have an example!
JacksonDReynolds replied...
Feel free to quote directly if you wish; just give me credit for the wording. :)
Cali-Bred said...
Good look bro. mine was from 500-1450 ce, but this helped ALOT. I would have been screwed if i didint find this
JacksonDReynolds replied...
Apr. 3, 2011 at 9:21 am
Thank you! My pleasure, man :)
cali-bred replied...

my version:

Time has a distinct ability to change many things, but many also stay the same. This holds true for the trade interactions along the Silk Road from 600 to 1450 C.E. The Silk Road was an extensive interconnected network of trade routes across the Asian continent connecting East, South, and Western Asia with the Mediterranean world, as well as North and Northeast Africa and Europe. Although the continuities may outweigh the changes, the Silk Road underwent many subtle transfo... (more »)

JacksonDReynolds replied...
Very good!
beccadora said...
I think this was very good but my WHAP teacher tells us to use broad CA dates throughout your whole paper! So keep that in mind, dont just use the dates of the time period, but think of broad CA dates for when things occured
JacksonDReynolds replied...
I understand this may be the case with your particular instructor, however my WHAP professor wished for me to write within the specific time frames above used.
socialstudiesstudent said...
This relly helps me! thansk so much! you should write one on the changes and continuites in commerse in the indian oceanregoin from 650 CE to 1750ce. thanks
JacksonDReynolds replied...
Feb. 4, 2011 at 9:48 am
I may! Thanks for reading!