Continuities & Changes Over Time Essay (Silk Road Interactions Between 200 B.C.E – 1450 C.E.)

During the period of time between 200 B.C.E. and 1450 C.E., the silk road underwent many subtle transformations while at the same time holding on to its original purpose. The trade of spices and goods to and from Asia and Europe remained constant, while the materials bartered slowly changed. The political boundaries as well as the national identities of the encompassing countries also were altered.
Despite changes in materials, the original purpose of the silk road remained intact throughout this time period. Asian commodities were traded with European merchants along the road and vice versa. Asia’s economy, such as that of China specifically, remained heavily reliant on the money from silk road trade, irregardless of the origin or type of goods that fueled such. Comparably, Europe’s economic status remained fueled by Asian trades.
While the basic purpose of the silk road remained mostly unchanged, the goods traded on it and the areas it went through did. While the silk road originally began on a small scale as a simple route of transport for Eurasian merchants, it later grew into an international necessity, not only economically, but culturally as well. Once exposed to Asian spices, fabrics, etc., Europeans became increasingly “addicted” to their newfound luxuries. This, in addition to Europe having the same effect on Asia, gradually shaped both cultures. Because of the numerous political changes that took place during this expanse of time, the route travelled by silk road merchants passed through new nations formed at the collapse of the Roman Empire. This, in turn, shaped the identities of additional nations/cultures along the path of the silk road.
Overall, the silk road’s basic purpose remained intact from 200 B.C.E. to 1450 C.E., but the specific patterns of interactions that occurred along it did not. Empires fell, new nations were formed, and that brought myriad changes to silk road cultures and the interactions between those that traveled on it.

Cali-Bred said...
Mar. 31, 2011 at 8:42 pm:
Good look bro. mine was from 500-1450 ce, but this helped ALOT. I would have been screwed if i didint find this

JacksonDReynolds replied...
Apr. 3, 2011 at 9:21 am :
Thank you! My pleasure, man :)

cali-bred replied...
Apr. 3, 2011 at 8:58 pm :

my version:

Time has a distinct ability to change many things, but many also stay the same. This holds true for the trade interactions along the Silk Road from 600 to 1450 C.E. The Silk Road was an extensive interconnected network of trade routes across the Asian continent connecting East, South, and Western Asia with the Mediterranean world, as well as North and Northeast Africa and Europe. Although the continuities may outweigh the changes, the Silk Road underwent many subtle transfo... (more »)

JacksonDReynolds replied...
Apr. 3, 2011 at 9:19 pm :
Very good!

beccadora said...
Mar. 9, 2011 at 9:18 pm:
I think this was very good but my WHAP teacher tells us to use broad CA dates throughout your whole paper! So keep that in mind, dont just use the dates of the time period, but think of broad CA dates for when things occured

JacksonDReynolds replied...
Mar. 10, 2011 at 7:49 pm :
I understand this may be the case with your particular instructor, however my WHAP professor wished for me to write within the specific time frames above used.

socialstudiesstudent said...
Feb. 3, 2011 at 9:15 pm:
This relly helps me! thansk so much! you should write one on the changes and continuites in commerse in the indian oceanregoin from 650 CE to 1750ce. thanks

JacksonDReynolds replied...
Feb. 4, 2011 at 9:48 am :
I may! Thanks for reading!

Pretty&&Nerdy. said...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 7:18 pm:
I'd just like to point out that I thought your article was excellent ! Great example for what they'll be looking for on the AP exam essays !

JacksonDReynolds replied...
Feb. 3, 2011 at 5:01 pm :
Thank you so much! :D I'm very glad that you enjoyed it! :D

Pretty&&Nerdy. replied...
Feb. 11, 2011 at 7:29 pm :
Your welcome ! And no I haven't , I'll certainly look into that . (:

JacksonDReynolds replied...
Apr. 3, 2011 at 9:20 pm :
Sounds like a plan to me.

just another student said...
This article helped me so much!!! I'm sso lucky to have found it thx :)

JacksonDReynolds replied...
Jan. 26, 2011 at 8:09 pm :
My pleasure! Thank YOU for reading :)

Lookatthathat! said...
It is regardless, not irregardless.

Rachaaael. replied...
Nov. 29, 2010 at 7:14 pm :
I was thinking to myself, "Maybe I shouldn't take notes from a paragrapth that uses the word 'irregardles'..." Haha(:

JacksonDReynolds replied...
Nov. 29, 2010 at 7:50 pm :

I am fully aware that the word "irregardless" is not used in formal standard English, however I elected to make use of the term despite this, due to the fact it allowed the surrouding sentence to flow more smoothly, without disrupting the overall sturctural tone of the paper in whole.

The fact that a nonstandard word/phrase is implemented in a paper is not indicative of ignorance on the part of its author, or, ostensibly, that the paper will contain misinformation.

what? replied...
May 10, 2011 at 12:11 am :

and stop trying to sound smart. try to create a sentence without using words like "ostensibly" unnecessarily and verbosely (look that up because you know your golden words are spent)

and your essay is terrible; all you wrote is that the silk road facilitated trade. absolutely no way this would earn a 7 or a 9. probably a 3 

JacksonDReynolds replied...
May 12, 2011 at 4:58 am :
Good sir, I am by no means "trying to sound smart" as you so lowly accused me doing. It is my opinion that you came to that conclusion due to the fact that you are yourself miserably cognitively vacuous in the arena of vocabulary :) On another note - my AP Test Essays recived perfect scores :) But thank you for your uninformed critisism anyway :)

kmae123 replied...
Oct. 6, 2011 at 9:05 pm :
Wait so irregardless isn't a word? F.Y.I the person who quoted your word 'irregardless,' spelled it wrong.  Or can it even be spelled wrong if it isn't a word...I am sooooo NOT looking forward to college.