Perception | Teen Ink

Perception

By CassGrant23 BRONZE, La Jolla, California
CassGrant23 BRONZE, La Jolla, California

I wasn’t born with a life threatening disease. I wasn’t born with a disability that made it impossible to perform daily activities. But I was born with Posterior Hyperplasty of the Primary Vitreous, or blindness in my right eye. I was also born with compromised vision in my good eye. This might seem like a terrible challenge but it has not been. This is due to the fact that, as my pediatric ophthalmologist told me when I was five years old, I have very poor sight but excellent vision. In other words, my brain has been able to interpret whatever information my sight gives it so that I can see the world as well as people with perfect vision. I live a totally normal life and have even participated and excelled in water polo. This situation has provided me with a very valuable lesson, teaching me that my perception of life is what is most important. I know that if I meet challenges with a positive attitude, I can overcome anything and that when something bad happens or when adversity strikes, the outcome will depend on how I perceive the problem and what I decide to do with that perception.