Volleyball | Teen Ink

Volleyball

By Volleyball BRONZE, Commerce City, Colorado
Volleyball BRONZE, Commerce City, Colorado

-
Describe selected experiences from your life such as activities, organizations, community service, etc. that show how you have demonstrated leadership and involvement in your community or UNC campus activities.

When I step on the court I hear the blowing of the whistle, the smacking of the balls as the attacker just hit, and the screeching of the elbows as the libero dives to get the ball up. The coach screamed and the crowd cheered after a wonderful rally from both teams. I know it is now time to leave everything else behind me and just play my game.

For six years, I have been playing volleyball competitively for both my school and an off season club. I was raised playing volleyball as my sister played since fifth grade, and my mom played when she was growing up. I never thought I would have such a strong passion for this game. But I realized by playing volleyball it really changed who I was.

As a freshman, I knew walking into Skyview’s gym that I wanted to make varsity. I did not want to let my family down since they had such strong expectations for me; my mom expected me to follow in my sister’s footsteps. Every day before my sister would drop me off for practice, she would say, “Give it your all and it will pay off! Make me proud!” I worked my butt off everyday during tryouts to prove to my coach that I had the talent and leadership to make varsity.

With just those strong words of encouragement and me pushing myself to give 110%, I made the varsity team as a freshman. I still wasn’t satisfied with myself. I then knew that I wanted to be captain. Even though it took me two years of encouraging my teammates, pushing myself to be the best, and coming in an hour early and leaving an hour later than everyone else, I finally proved to my coach that I was a strong leader and that I could lead the varsity team no matter the situation.

Volleyball changed me to be a strong leader and not to quit and give up until I was truly satisfied with myself. If it wasn’t for volleyball I don’t think I would be the strong leader I am today!

To respond to the essay question for acceptance to the University of Northern Colorado.