The Love of a Mother | Teen Ink

The Love of a Mother

By kylivestosing BRONZE, Hamilton, Ohio
kylivestosing BRONZE, Hamilton, Ohio

Different people influence our lives everyday. Friends, teachers, parents, even strangers can influence us. Some are positive to who we are as a person…Others, not so much. For me, the person who has had the most significant influence on me is the most important person in my life. That person is my mother.

In my opinion, it’s natural for a parent to have a very significant influence on their children. But in my case, my mother has gone beyond just having an influence on me. She has made me who I am today. She has not only been an influence, but she’s raised me to have values that I treasure.

My mom is a strong Christian woman. Since I was a baby, we’ve always gone to church, and she’s always taught me how to live right in the eyes of the Lord. Mom has never been overly strict, but she never let me get away with lying, stealing, or anything else society disapproves of. Because of this, I do my best to always be honest and follow any rules given to me. This has given me a positive reputation with my teachers and friends.

My mother is very supportive. She always stands behind whatever I want to do, especially when it comes to my music. I’ve been performing since I was five, and she’s been to every concert and show. She loves to hear me sing, and never fails to help me when I need it. The support has impacted me in a very strong way. I don’t get nervous on stage, and I have a great amount of confidence due to her encouragement.

To mom, schoolwork is extremely important. Ever since Kindergarten, she has made sure my grades are good. Luckily, I’ve never really struggled, so she didn’t have much to worry about. Without her want for me to succeed, my grades might not be as good as they are. I don’t want to disappoint her, so I always do my best. Doing my best has made me a good student, and I also excel in music. It’s gotten me into habits that make me work hard and help me to stay focused.

In today’s society, people are rude, selfish, and often untrustworthy. But my mom would never allow me to have these characteristics. Instead, she made sure that I had manners, and that I was polite and friendly to everyone I meet. I say please and thank you and I usually have a smile on my face. She taught me to be selfless, much like herself. She is constantly serving other people. I strive to be that way, too. She never let me be selfish, and taught me to share and to give. Recently, I’ve become very involved in community service to try and give back to society. This is a result from my mom’s influence. Mom also taught me to be honest in everything I do. I don’t lie. Mom’s expectations for me have shaped me into a person who gets along with everyone, and avoids drama at all cost.

Because of my mother, I am a better person than I ever could hope to be without her. She has taught me how to be a good person, and given me confidence through her love and support. Our relationship is far from perfect. But I love her, and she is truly an amazing woman. Her influence on me has impacted me more than anyone else, and I couldn’t be more thankful for that.

I wrote this for my admissions essay for my dream college. It made my mom cry. =]

PunkForce said...
on Oct. 10 2011 at 3:26 pm
PunkForce, Rural Hall, North Carolina

A friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.

nice mother