My Dad | Teen Ink

My Dad MAG

January 6, 2010
By favresdabomb4 SILVER, Delafield, Wisconsin
favresdabomb4 SILVER, Delafield, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Imagine being 17 and on your own with nowhere to stay and no money. Years ago, that was my dad. His father died when he was 10, and as the oldest of five, he had to take care of his siblings. When his mother remarried, my dad had to leave home. With few choices, he joined the Air Force, and worked as hard as he could so he would always have a steady job, a nice house, and a family. Having a dad like him has made me different from other people; with his assistance and advice, I set and meet my goals.

When I wanted to play rugby, my dad said, “Don't let anyone tell you what you can or can't do.” People thought I was too small to play, but he let me know I could. Looking back now, I know why my dad said this to me: it was something his father and mother never told him. No matter what the task, he wanted me to know I could do it,

Time flew by; one day I was driving my toy Jeep, and the next I was driving my ྚ Ford Ranger looking for a job. A department store called me back and gave me a job as cart attendant. For the entire shift, I pushed shopping carts. It was awful. It was tiring. It was so cold that I couldn't move my hands. But my dad wouldn't let me quit, even though I wanted to. He kept saying it would get better if I stuck it out, and he was right. I've worked there for a year now and I do much more than push carts: cashiering, stocking, and even working in the café. My dad made me hang in there, and I'm glad I did.

My dad helped form me into the person I'm becoming. When I was younger, I was small. My nickname was “Lil' Nicky,” which I hated. I went to my dad to come up with a solution. He took me to our basement and showed me his dumbbells, curling bars, and bench press. With drive and my dad's exercise plan, I got to work. That was four years ago. My bench press went from 65 pounds to 280, and at 153 pounds, I hope to set my high school record for power lifting.

In life, I am faced with different roads. My dad helped me get on the one I continue on today. I know I am just at the beginning. There will be obstacles and unexpected turns. But there will always be my dad. Even when the time comes that he is not physically here for me, his words won't leave my head.