My College Essay | Teen Ink

My College Essay

The University values an educational environment that provides all members of the campus community with opportunities to grow and develop intellectually, personally, culturally, and socially. In order to give us a more complete picture of you as an individual, please tell us about the particular life experiences, perspectives, talents, commitments and/or interests you will bring to our campus. In other words, how will your presence enrich our community?
I was snooping through my sister’s things in her room one day. I found a letter. It was a letter to her friends. Reading it, I was in shock. Walking down the stairs, with the letter in my hand, I showed it to my mom. Her face was miserable, tears streaming down her face. My sister wanted to commit suicide. My sister was not popular; she wanted to become a “popular” person. She tried so hard to fit in with the others. That’s when she became anorexic, started to go out and party with others, which lead to bulimia. She let people put words in her head and tell her she could become skinnier. I could see her bones sticking out, her face shrunk, and she wasn’t happy with herself.
That night, I found my sister in her room with a scissors in her hands, cutting her wrists. She also overdosed on pills too. My mom and dad stopped her before she killed herself. My sister was lying on the floor, hardly breathing. Giving her a paper bag to breathe in, my dad called 911. She was taken to the emergency room and then sent to Roger’s rehab center. When Roger’s took her, she gained weight and looked healthier when I visited her. My sister looked happier. They put her on anti-depressants. It was different not having my sister around when I needed her the most. I slowly got through school, but it was difficult.
Learning so much from my sister’s mistakes in life has made me stronger. She had me come with her to her two babysitting jobs. I loved it. She had me do small jobs like changing a diaper, serving food to the kids, or watching a movie with them. When my sister went to college, she had me take over her two babysitting jobs. I would be responsible for taking care of children. Now, she has a baby and when she needs someone to watch over him, I’m always there to watch him. My sister has had the impact on my life.