Field Hockey | Teen Ink

Field Hockey

What obstacles or challenges have you faced or overcome in your life?

I showed up to practice and as soon as I slammed the car door I was ordered to go see the Athletic Director. I already knew what it was about so I put all of my gear back into my car knowing I wont need it anymore. I entered the Athletic Director’s office and he told me,
“I’m sorry, but according to WIAA rules we cannot have a boy playing a girls sport and field hockey is a girls sport.”
“All I want to do is play field hockey, though and this is the only way I will be able to play. Arrowhead High School doesn’t have a men’s team and their aren’t any club teams in the area that I can join.”
“Well, WIAA rules states boys cannot play girls sports and here at Arrowhead, we respect and follow the WIAA decision’s. But if you still want to be part of the team, I can offer you a manager position or a job as a scorekeeper for all the home games.”
. My dream of playing field hockey was impossible so I did to do the next best thing. I became the scorekeeper. When I found out that it paid $8 an hour I was so happy that I got almost a $1 an hour raise compared to my old job. I was not able to play field hockey. I ended up getting a high paying job that gave me first row seats to every home game.