My Mother | Teen Ink

My Mother

By Mellissa Goss BRONZE, Auburn, New York
Mellissa Goss BRONZE, Auburn, New York

The person in my life that has influenced me is my mother. When I started my senior year of high school I was so lost about how to start my college essays and my applications. I felt like I was going to fall into a stack of money for college loans. I tole my mother the issues and she told me a stories about how she made it through college.

She had to work two jobs through her high school career and she had side jobs like working on the family farm. My mom's story began from when she started high school to her last years of getting her nursing degree. My mom worked hard to get where she is, but then one day something horrible happened. My mom tumbled when she was working as a nurse. The next day the doctor tole her she had Lupus. Lupus is a disease that can attack your immune system or any part of your body. My mother has Lupus where it attacks the immune system. Everyday she is getting worse. Just this past year she has been taking a lot of pills and she has to take insulin for her kidneys to work the right way. Sometimes it helps her, but it is terrible to look at and smells funny. Now she works at a nursing home; she is not allowed to work at a hospital. She is still following her dreams. My mom showed me that no matter what, there will always be a way to follow my dreams.

By watching her day by day and listening to her stories she has helped me understand what to do about college. She is my hero and the person who has influenced me to anything I want to do. So by following my dreams I now know that there will be obstacles getting in the way, so she told me to keep reaching for them

.