Red Legwarmers | Teen Ink

Red Legwarmers

October 14, 2009
By aliceleigh123 BRONZE, Longwood, Florida
aliceleigh123 BRONZE, Longwood, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Forget long john silver! Be your own pirate." Alex Turner


It’s strange how the most ordinary things can inspire us and shape our lives. My life changed one morning before school when I was 12 years old.
So far the year had been jarring. My best friend had moved away that summer and I felt alone in a sea of strangers.
Even though the prospects of my day being good were unlikely, I felt exuberant when I looked into my closet and prepared to choose my outfit for the day. First I put on a new gray pleated skirt and a white blouse. Then, while rummaging through my mother’s old ballet bag, I found a pair of red legwarmers and with a twinge of excitement; I pulled them over my feet and onto my legs.

Before having the opportunity to change my mind, I grabbed my book bag and descended the stairs, only to see my father standing at the kitchen counter. Instantly, I was afraid of what his reaction might be because he is a straightforward type of man who gives out compliments sparingly. But when he heard my footsteps on the tiles he looked at me with a shocked expression and then smiled. He then said with sincerity, “Wow. That’s a nice outfit.” I was stunned.

“Thank you” I replied and continued on my normal routine. But normal was far from how I felt. Instead I felt enlightened, and decided to harness that feeling and never let it go. At lunch that day, my friends complimented the leg warmers and asked where they could buy their own. With the new excitement, I no longer cared about fitting into the crowd. As time went on I experimented more and more with my personal style. This became my passion and it could lead me to ultimate happiness. It would drive me each and every day.

Soon I was sketching various outfits in my notebook and planning what I would wear during the week. Still, I didn’t know where this passion might lead, but one day I started reading a Vogue magazine and right away my eyes were glued to the glossy pages. Reading through each article and spread adorned with beautiful clothing, I suddenly saw fashion in a way I never dreamed of before.

Shortly afterwards, I realized exactly what I wanted to do. I would put together outfits with clothing from designers such as Oscar de la Renta and Marc Jacobs and use them to create a story for the readers. I would also write articles on runway shows or popular trends, perhaps even about the complex dynamics of the fashion industry. Ultimately I would want to inspire others just as I once was inspired myself. An idol of mine, Grace Coddington who is the creative director of Vogue, once said when asked why she wanted to be a stylist, “I like fairytales and I like dreaming. I try to weave the reality into the dream.” I hope to one day follow in her footsteps and create iconic images for a magazine.

To this day, my heart still pounds when scanning the pages of Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, and Elle. Every morning I pull out clothing from my closet and get thrilled to make my type of art. It all began one early morning, so unexpectedly. Who knew leg warmers could be so inspiring?

The author's comments:
This is about an even that influenced my life. I want to be a fashion editor when I get older so I thought this would show where that aspiration came from.