teenagersims | Teen Ink

teenagersims

By MeagaroniNCheese BRONZE, Mountain Home, Arkansas
MeagaroniNCheese BRONZE, Mountain Home, Arkansas

My name is Meagan. There is nothing extraordinary about me. I am a seventeen year old, counting down the days till graduation, just like every other senior in the world. I’ve accomplished a lot in my short seventeen years of life, as have I made mistakes. I’m not perfect; show me one person who is. I’m on the path of self discovery, which, as I have come to realize is not an easy conduit. Trials and tribulations have presented themselves in great abundance. Adolescence; something we all must face, and fight to overcome.
I clearly remember the last time I had to move. I was eleven going on twelve. It was the summer before my seventh grade year. At that point, starting a new school wasn’t really THAT big of a deal.
I spent the next four and a half years going to Mountain Home. I made four of the best, most amazing friends anyone could ever ask for. When I had to leave them I was crushed. I’ve never had to deal with letting go of people I was friends with for so long. Leaving people I’ve known for a year and leaving people I’d been around for most of my teenage life was so much harder than I had expected.
Over the majority of the summer, I convinced myself that I wasn’t going to meet anyone that didn’t already have their “established” group of friends. It was my senior year, what else could I expect? I was sure that the majority of people I was about to call my classmates had been at this school for most, if not all of their high school years.
I soon realized that starting a new high school was way different than being the “new girl” in elementary or even middle school. It wasn’t as easy to gain “approval” of my classmates now as it had been back then.
I felt like a freshman all over again. However, at least as a Freshman I had my friends; people I knew. I could very easily name well over ninety percent of my class. Here, at this new school, I knew no one.
I am usually not a “shy” person. I am very outgoing and bubbly. But for some unexplainable reason none of my previous qualities followed me to this new school.
As the day progressed, I was dreading lunch time more than anything. I didn’t want to be the weird girl that was forced to sit in the corner by herself due to her lack of friends. Yes, I know what you’re thinking. It was the first day of school, there were bound to be other new students in my position, right? Well that may have been true, and I’m sure it was, but in my mind I didn’t see it that way. I saw it as: I was alone.
I am still struggling to meet new people, haven’t really made much progress yet. I just can’t seem to put myself out there. I’ve never had to worry about what others thought of me because socially, I’ve been around the same exact people for the last five years. I didn’t realize that as I grew older things that didn’t use to be so important, all the sudden seemed so dramatic and life-changing.
I’ve been told over and again by my mom that I will eventually have to enter the “real” world and that the worry I have over all of the things that have happened in high school will almost immediately evaporate upon said entrance.
What adults fail to realize is that every day in a teenager’s life is a battle. We’re no longer children, but not quite adults. We struggle to make the right decisions. We struggle to find out who we are and what we stand for. We struggle to just fit in.
As I looked at through the list of topics we were given to write about I only found one that was applicable to me. And believe me; I struggled for the longest time, deciding which moment in my life to write about, after all, there were so many. So, I decided to look at the bigger picture. And it occurred to me that all of my struggles have come with being a teenager. From there, it just made sense; it sort of “clicked”. And although I still have about a year and a half left, I honestly believe that being a teenager has been the hardest experience in my life; something I’m sure that I will carry with me for the rest of my existence.

deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey

"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

You just put teenage years in one of the best descriptions possible! I know how you feel when you express sadness in leaving people you've know for years. They know us when we're young and simple; it wasn't so superficial like it is in middle and high school. They kind of grow with us and you can't just go somewhere else and feel the same connection. Again, you put it well, beautiful writing:)

IamtheshyStargirl PLATINUM, Lothlorien, Utah

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

"Bowing gratefully to all of my subjects, 'thank you. Thank you. The pleasure is mine." Nah, I'm just kidding. We're all kings together.'"
~Thesilentraven

It was slightly hard to follow. But I still really liked it :)

Marymayy232 said...

I loved this essay so much :)

For my Junior English project, we had to create an anthology, or a collection of works that all contributed to who we are as a person, and how that affected us as students. And I thought i should just let you know, that i included this in my anthology, and my teachers loved it :)

Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California

“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

Great article! I'm sorry you felt that way, but everyone fells like that at some point in their life. I felt like that when I moved too but I got used to it. Good luck finding friends!

AelitaReloaded PLATINUM, Scottsdale, Arizona

"The pen is mightier than the sword" author unknown (to me)

It was good, but the beginning did not seem to be congruous to the rest of the story...  Also, if you want friends, try joining an after school group you enjoy, and you can meet friends who share that common interest!

on May. 15 2010 at 10:30 am
AmyMarie BRONZE, Lakeville, Minnesota
Don't worry college is a much more accepting atmosphere and you'll be there soon :)

Meago GOLD said...
Meago GOLD, Spring City, Tennessee

How come when you need something the most- that's the time when you have to fight the hardest to receive it?

My name is Meagan and I am 17 as well. I've been in a small city my whole life and I deal with the same issues. People have those 'clicks' and if you're smart, you're looked down upon. If you can't go to parties--you're nothing. Don't worry, when you graduate, you'll prob. never see those people again. That's the way I look at it anyway. =D This was written very well and I could totally relate to this. =D

LeilaniLives PLATINUM, Fort Wayne, Indiana

"They say 'Life's two steps forward and one step back' - But what if I tripped and fell down the whole flight of stairs?"

The quality of this piece is beautiful and untouched. Frame it and lay it beneath your glass table for all to see, but not to damage.

on Apr. 23 2010 at 10:57 am
annlovesbooks, Walsingham, Other
I feel this way to.. I'm going to high school next year and totally sacred.

Sarbear GOLD said...
Sarbear GOLD, Milan, Ohio

--Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes.
--When life gives you lemons, squirt them in people's eyes.

this is really great. everyone can relate to this at sometime in their lives. i love this check out some of my work too :)

krzykrys GOLD said...
krzykrys GOLD, Baldwinsville, New York

i have many favorite quotes

this piece was great. im not a senior, im in 8th but i understand switching schools. i switched this year i was terrified but after a few weeks i found some friends. sometimes it still hurts to look back at my old life. i find myself including me in my old school. a lot of my old best friends dont talk to me anymore. its crazy how things change.

GiSELA SILVER said...
GiSELA SILVER, Escondido, California

Life is about doing things people said you couldn't do.

Wow good gob!(: I really enjoyed reading this.(: and good luck with finding yourself(: im in the process as well.

Sadly enough, I didn't make it through my senior year. I quit school about a month ago :/ I did however get my GED. I start college in the fall. I know most people who read this genuinly will not understand why I quit school so close to my graduation....and the thoughts most of you are having are completely valid. But what you have to understand is that high school isn't for everyone, I out grew it's 'immaturity', so to speak, long ago. And I know that the decision I made is the right one for me. I'm working two jobs and preparing for college. It's not been easy on me, by any means, but I did what I had to do and don't regret it one bit :) I really appreciate everyones comments. It makes me feel good to know that people enjoy reading my work :)

magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York

"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."

Although this seems like a topic many people have to deal with, this is a very well-written essay and it was interesting to read. I moved once when I was in first grade but I can understand how it would be much, much harder in senior year. Hope it's easier for you!

writingbee said...
on Mar. 10 2010 at 7:20 am
oh gosh, i'm sorry you had to go through that. i'm going through the same exact thing right now, i had to move for my senior year to a new high school. i hope things get better for you.

on Feb. 16 2010 at 11:50 am
Grania PLATINUM, Portland, Maine
Hahaha, wow, I live in Maine too!

Meghan-

This is a really nice essay and I think that you might be mistakened in thinking you are just an ordinary person.

on Jan. 25 2010 at 9:04 am
It really makes me feel great to know people took the time out to read and comment on my article. im also really glad people can relate to my expieriences :)

i loved this essay..i understand completely how she feels...my senior year i had 2 move 2 a new school and i didn't kno even how 2 act...making friends had always came easy 2 me....but suddenly it was hard 4 me to even start a basic introduction of myself to people...i felt as if i was from another world..and no one could decipher my language and i could not compare to their mode of thinking...i even cried the first week from being so alone...i am not one to cry..so changing schools took a great toll on me...but now i am better and have many friends that have embraced me and helped me to understand that there are still people in the world who are unselfish and see how another is suffering and will take the time to help he/she in their time of need

on Dec. 12 2009 at 7:48 am
tennisislovee34 GOLD, Sterling Heights, Michigan

"Every moment of your life, you're writing. Even in your dreams, you're writing. When you walk the halls in this school you meet various people and you write furiously in your head." -Frank McCourt

I really like this essay! I do believe being a teenager is one of the hardest experiences someone will ever experience. It's when all the major growing up takes place. Your leaving your childhood behind, and learning how to live like an adult. Good Job =]

Hey Meagan , the funny thing about this: my name is meghan , and the exact same thing happened to me o.o this year i'm in senior year, and i was forced to move away as well over the summer, leaving everything i've known and loved behind. I've made some friends and had a bit of an adjustment but it's still hard and it still hurts. life just totally turned upside down. all i can say is, you're not the only one and i appreciate you writing about it. We all feel the same and being a teenager is DEFINITELY the greatest hell on earth. But we get through it. Stay strong.