teenagersims

My name is Meagan. There is nothing extraordinary about me. I am a seventeen year old, counting down the days till graduation, just like every other senior in the world. I’ve accomplished a lot in my short seventeen years of life, as have I made mistakes. I’m not perfect; show me one person who is. I’m on the path of self discovery, which, as I have come to realize is not an easy conduit. Trials and tribulations have presented themselves in great abundance. Adolescence; something we all must face, and fight to overcome.
I clearly remember the last time I had to move. I was eleven going on twelve. It was the summer before my seventh grade year. At that point, starting a new school wasn’t really THAT big of a deal.
I spent the next four and a half years going to Mountain Home. I made four of the best, most amazing friends anyone could ever ask for. When I had to leave them I was crushed. I’ve never had to deal with letting go of people I was friends with for so long. Leaving people I’ve known for a year and leaving people I’d been around for most of my teenage life was so much harder than I had expected.
Over the majority of the summer, I convinced myself that I wasn’t going to meet anyone that didn’t already have their “established” group of friends. It was my senior year, what else could I expect? I was sure that the majority of people I was about to call my classmates had been at this school for most, if not all of their high school years.
I soon realized that starting a new high school was way different than being the “new girl” in elementary or even middle school. It wasn’t as easy to gain “approval” of my classmates now as it had been back then.
I felt like a freshman all over again. However, at least as a Freshman I had my friends; people I knew. I could very easily name well over ninety percent of my class. Here, at this new school, I knew no one.
I am usually not a “shy” person. I am very outgoing and bubbly. But for some unexplainable reason none of my previous qualities followed me to this new school.
As the day progressed, I was dreading lunch time more than anything. I didn’t want to be the weird girl that was forced to sit in the corner by herself due to her lack of friends. Yes, I know what you’re thinking. It was the first day of school, there were bound to be other new students in my position, right? Well that may have been true, and I’m sure it was, but in my mind I didn’t see it that way. I saw it as: I was alone.
I am still struggling to meet new people, haven’t really made much progress yet. I just can’t seem to put myself out there. I’ve never had to worry about what others thought of me because socially, I’ve been around the same exact people for the last five years. I didn’t realize that as I grew older things that didn’t use to be so important, all the sudden seemed so dramatic and life-changing.
I’ve been told over and again by my mom that I will eventually have to enter the “real” world and that the worry I have over all of the things that have happened in high school will almost immediately evaporate upon said entrance.
What adults fail to realize is that every day in a teenager’s life is a battle. We’re no longer children, but not quite adults. We struggle to make the right decisions. We struggle to find out who we are and what we stand for. We struggle to just fit in.
As I looked at through the list of topics we were given to write about I only found one that was applicable to me. And believe me; I struggled for the longest time, deciding which moment in my life to write about, after all, there were so many. So, I decided to look at the bigger picture. And it occurred to me that all of my struggles have come with being a teenager. From there, it just made sense; it sort of “clicked”. And although I still have about a year and a half left, I honestly believe that being a teenager has been the hardest experience in my life; something I’m sure that I will carry with me for the rest of my existence.

lyzebyze said...
"Just because evrything's changing, doesn't mean it's never been this way before, all you can do is try to know who your friends are as you head off to the war" -Regina Spektor. These are some good words of wisdom for any teenager feeling lost or experiencing struggles.

MynaS said...
I think the article is really good. Your writing style is great. Don't stop writing though, yes, a happier ending might have been better. The conclusion of the article could have been centred around on a happier note. :)

KatsKThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 18, 2012 at 3:14 pm:
You're a good writer, I think, but it does sound like you're whining a bit. For example, when you say, "being a teenager has been the hardest experience in my life" it sounds pretty whiny. There are people out there with worse life experiences; what about the child soldiers and those who go through the war? Oh well, that's ok. Their experiences, their hurt and anguish, obviously pale to yours.

KestrelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:22 pm :
Hey, just because there are others out there who have had it worse doesn't mean that this person doesn't deserve the right to say this. I was in this exact position, so maybe it just takes a shared experience to understand the feeling, but there will always, i repeat, always, be someone in the world who "has it worse". Being a teen is hard; very few get through it with ease. This very well may have been the hardest time of this person's life so far; just remember that when ... (more »)

AlimaxThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 29, 2012 at 3:34 pm:
I think you are a talented writer with a lot of potential, but try not to use "you" and thoroughly edit your work. I enjoyed reading this, but in some pleaces I got confused beacause of either missing words or the wrong combonation.

Angel H. said...
Mar. 29, 2012 at 8:43 am:
I thought this was really good. When i first read this I thought it wasn't going to be good but you figured out how to make your own and incorporate your move into the paper.

niks said...
Oct. 12, 2011 at 6:30 am:
good essay... i could feel it, even if it is not real...

madison.rose94 replied...
Feb. 1, 2012 at 11:07 pm :
I wish that you had a specific instance, not just something that happened to you over time, to describe your feelings. It's a bit cliché, also. It has potential though! Don't stop writing!

Chase P. said...

This was a good paper that told the audience about your whole life maybe just summarize it a little.

editpem3 said...
I agree with most of the comments below. I think positive ending would've made it better though.

abcat said...
Content-wise, this isn't that great for an admissions essay. You sound naive and sheltered. Also, you really need to learn what semi-colons are for.

musicluffler said...
I think a key way to improve this essay would be to tie in more of a positive ending, for example, how/why you think starting at a new college will be better for you, the types of clubs you are looking forward to joining, and how you can move onwards from this experience.  Generally, your essay has a nice flow and good use of language.  Make sure you separate it into paragraphs and change the capital "THAT" to an italiced that so it doesn't seem like you're yelling at the admiss... (more »)

dbaxter474 said...
This was an absolutely fabulous essay. It really catches the teenage essence. I didn't ever change schools, but I never was outgoing until recently. Before that time though, I felt a lot like what you're going through. Find a group who enjoys what you like and you'll make some awesome friends.

anonymous said...
Oct. 8, 2010 at 9:07 am:
Yes, I mostly agree with the comment above. Unfortunately, being a teenager doesn't set you apart from the crowd (I'm also 17). I would have appreciated your essay more had you given some insight on how you would overcome the trials of "being a teenager", since right now it sounds as if you're just sitting passively and blaming your troubles on your age.

Kamo said...
I'm 17 as well, and the theme of this essay is decent...but some of the things you say make you just sound like a whiny teenage brat. Such as "What adults fail to realize is that every day in a teenager's life is a battle." Adults were not born adults, they were teenagers once, so I'm pretty sure they would know that. They just have more important things to worry about than fitting in, and they know that what happens to you socially in high school doesn't really matter at all. Just sayin'

PinkPiggys replied...
Apr. 14, 2011 at 8:03 pm :

Kamo, how dare you call her a whiny brat. I admit, i probably would have called her a whiny brat as well about 6 months ago. But 5 months ago my parents decided to transfer me to a new school out of the blue. Suddenly, I felt(and still feel) this hollowness inside me. At least I had a boy named Tim who transferred 2 days after me. If I didnt have Tim...God that would be tough, Tim and I aren't that close anymore, but knowing I had someone who felt the way I did made me feel better. Now my par... (more »)

Anon replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 10:52 pm :
I'm with Kamo. Piggy, you're also a whiny teenage brat, using Kamo's words. If I were recruiting for a college and read this, I'd automatically reject this person. Colleges want adults, not little confused kids who blame the world for their social problems.

Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:29 pm :
Look, life is different for everyone. This one essay isn't going to tell you who this girl is. Starting completely over is hard; I would know. Yes, I think you have to put yourself out there. But no, I don't think you should be assuming this girl is a whiny brat because of a short essay. 

Brie M replied...
Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:55 pm :
No one is trying to say that this girl is, for sure, a whiny brat. They are just trying to say that she sounds like one. So you moved so what? I've moved 13 times already. I'm a senior this year and i have only been at this school for a few weeks, my mom decided that we neede to move about a month into the start of school. Anytime you start out by saying something like "I'm ordinary" or "I'm not special" it comes off as whiny. 

Anon said...
Jul. 30, 2010 at 8:54 pm:
Being a teenager is the hardest thing in your life? God can't I imagine kids that's gone through poverty and all. Find a new topic... if you haven't already submitted it. Admissions are just going to think how protected and ignorant you are.