Modern-Day Shakespeare...Maybe This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

I should have been born with my fingers permanently glued to a keyboard. From the age of five, I’ve known that I want to be a professional writer: a journalist, a novelist, a modern-day Shakespeare, maybe. Okay, not Shakespeare. Will used to give me terrible headaches back in my freshman year as I tried to figure out what he was talking about in A Midsummer Night’s Dream and The Tragedy of Julius Caesar. Macbeth in my sophomore year was much easier to understand.
Regardless, I’m practically addicted to books, whether I’m reading or writing them. I can’t go a single day without writing something – a short story, a novel chapter, an article – and if I do, I feel a tingling in my fingers, an itch that won’t go away until I sit in front of a computer or pick up a well-sharpened pencil and just let my thoughts out.

I can be inspired by anything: an expression, a song, a movie. Once I get inspired, it’s like a series of bells going off in my mind, the gears turning faster and faster as I spin out one possible story after another. Ghosts? Vampires? Shape-shifters? What about bogeymen, fairies, and…Desis? Well, why not let my Desi – my South Asian – heritage inspire me too?

My extended, very Desi family is so widespread that whenever I meet with a cousin or an aunt I only vaguely remember, I tell him or her I’m a writer because I know it will distinguish me from all the other “kids” in the family and make me memorable. I tell my relatives about the stories I used to write as a child, the projects I’m working on now, and why I’m working so hard to make a breakthrough in the competitive world of publishing. One aunt hugged me and told me, “Just don’t forget about the rest of us when you become the next J.K. Rowling.”

Smiling, I replied, “Don’t worry, I won’t.” Call it a hunch, intuition, or confidence, but I know that I will become the next J.K. Rowling. I have the ambition, I have the means, and I have the talent. My English and History teachers don’t praise my writing and tell me I have an innate writing talent because they want to be nice – they know how passionate I am about writing, and how that passion slips through my fingertips to the paper.

I don’t really know why I love writing so much, I just do. There’s something about putting a story down on paper for friends halfway across the globe to read and understand, about finding just the right word to describe what I can see so clearly in my head, that lures me in like a siren’s song. Writing makes me who I am.

Maybe I just want to leave my mark on the world, and since I can’t sing if my life depended on it or have the patience to create a majestic work of art – although I am a pretty decent actor, and a guitar recital in my sophomore year permanently rid me of my state fright…but acting doesn’t seem like the right path for me – I’ve chosen writing to make a name for myself. Sara B., novelist, journalist, graduate of Columbia University. It has a nice ring to it.

Bones96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
  This isn't bad and I can relate to the passion for writing. I have read some of your other work and you defiantly have talent. I also have some criticism. J.K. Rowling is a very good author and is a good role model (as well a Shakespeare.) But is it the fame you want or the level of skill? Rowling's fame and Stephanie Myers's is pretty rare most authors don't make that kind of money or get that famous. There is also a line between being proud of your work and boasting. I... (more »)

JoshuaChen said...
Nov. 4, 2012 at 9:09 am:
J.K Rowling isn't that great of an author. There are talented writers, and then there are talented marketers, and then there are just lucky donkey holes. The fact that Eragon became a best seller proves that good sales =/= good writing.

WriteItOff said...
Just from reading this article I don't  think your quite as good as you think you are, sorry, but if you would stop calling yourself the next J.K. Rowling or the next Shakespeare then I wouldn't be so harsh in my judgement, but you are definatley not up to the level you think you are. Practice, practice, practice.

.Dimples replied...
Sept. 21, 2012 at 10:32 pm :
I completely agree.

JoshuaChen replied...
Nov. 4, 2012 at 9:03 am :
Thank God. There're people on this site who know how to say things other than "I love this!" and "This is amazing!"

Ekf07This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This was absolutly amazing! I could really relate to it, now I havn't been a writer my whole life, but I will always be one. This was a wonderful piece, and actually, my aunt said that to me one time too! (how funny is that?) I hope you do become the next J.K Rowling. You never know, I may read your book someday!

beachychick said...
Jun. 3, 2012 at 7:51 pm:
 I love this!! Its funny, and entertaining, and heartfelt and just, just... just amazing!

mirrorstone said...
Jun. 3, 2012 at 6:40 pm:
And here I was thingking that i was the only one whose fingers itched. Its really great to know that we're not alone in that massive world of soon-to-be-famous writers. Keep up the awesome work! I loved thearticle, by the way...

LexiClare said...
This is really wonderful, and very relatable; it's practically all I've wanted to say about my life, as well.  Brilliant essay, you can do this.

HaileyS This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 29, 2012 at 9:04 pm:
I admire your commitment :) I wish I were that devoted to a career in writing!

pinklilyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 28, 2012 at 8:32 pm:

Awesome job! Very easy to relate to. 

P.S. Go Desis!!!!

KatsKThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 27, 2012 at 7:52 pm:
This is great. It really shows how passionate you (and we) can be about your writing. It's really cool that you feel that way. Keep writing, and good luck!

Epiclyawesome said...
Mar. 27, 2012 at 9:09 am:
I could relate to every (well, almost every) word. When you mentioned being the next J.K Rowling, I sort of stopped, becuase that's my dream :) Botom line, I really liked your peice. Hey, if you could, do you think you could read my story? It's called the Story of the Demons. Rate and comment if you can. Thanks :)

Doves_and_Ravens said...
Feb. 11, 2012 at 6:38 pm:
I can completely relate to this. This almost sounds like something I would say. Keep writing. I believe you can be the next J. K. Rowling! I hate to rig the comments system on such a good article, but could you comment on some of my work?

zadiekatie23 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 11, 2012 at 2:32 pm:
This is really easy for any and all writers to connect to. We all have these same feelings, though maybe not as intense as yours. :) Thanks!

Meagan F. said...
From what I can tell, you seem like a fantastic writer. Just don't get distracted from your dreams as most of us easily are. Don't let anyone tell you you can't. One day you'll be able to tell them "I did."

Benjamin101 replied...
Dec. 12, 2009 at 7:00 pm :
Wow, very nice stuff. There is a certain voice that you show in your writing; I rather like it. However, I do have some constructive criticisms. J.K. Rowling is by no means the gold standard of writers. Perhaps you might want to compare yourself to someone who is more appreciated by the literary community? Just a thought. Also the final line of the first paragraph, "Macbeth in my sophomore year was much easier to understand", is this necessary? I feel as though you added this in only t... (more »)

WordsRUs This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 11, 2012 at 12:26 am :
I think her point with the J.K. Rowling thing was that she'll actually be famous for her writing. Most of the writers who win the Pulitzer Prize and the Nobel Prize aren't very famous among most people. Sure they're usually the better writers, but they're not raking in the cash like Meyer and Rowling.

nelehjrThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jul. 17, 2012 at 3:45 pm :
Never give up on your dreams!