LIFE IS A GAME

My life is a gamble. It is like being in a casino. There are moments of winning and losing and moments of ups and downs. As I go through it, I also meet some friends or even rivals. Indeed, I will meet lots of people.

One of the things I learned in the casino is how to watch my back because not at all times, people are going to stand behind me and protect me from any danger. But another thing I learned there is that it is not enjoyable if you play alone. Like in life, it would be more exciting if you have two or more companions instead of being alone.

Life is like a poker game and when you start playing, you start the gamble. In the game, you either win something or lose something. You cannot keep everything. Not all the time, you win and take the grand prize home. In some cases, you take home nothing. In life, I learned how gamble and I learned how to choose and weigh things respectively.

As my game starts, my journey and my life start to roll. I have to choose the best play or else I will lose everything I’ve worked for. The chips I am holding are now at stake. It’s like I am giving it all to the one who really controls the game. And as the game ends, all I can do is accept how the game ended.

In life, we don’t know how it would end but we know how to make it better. Like an excited yet breath-taking games in the casino, we ought to know when to end so as not to lose everything. It is not bad to make some gambles in life because it is inevitable. We just have to play our strategies well and accept what the result may be.

neka2013 said...
your essay is so true... and i like how you compare our life to a game too

jyeloh888 said...
May 14, 2010 at 5:23 am:
can i use your essay for college?

benish528 replied...
Sept. 12, 2010 at 10:39 am :
LOL, ahh! I've had writer's block for the longest while :(

litfanatic said...
Mar. 31, 2010 at 7:30 am:
I like your choice of metaphor, very creative. However, I think what might help improve your essay is narrow the "casino metaphor" to a specific event in your life.

gabirella7 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 19, 2009 at 12:32 am:
I'm going to give you kudos for posting this, it's good that you have the courage to do it. I just really wished you had been more specifi. The lack of specificity made it seem really vague and I didn't get any kind of insight into YOU as a person.

Ellewon said...
Oct. 18, 2009 at 9:58 am:
Your attempts at using an extended metaphor were well-intended, but overall the essay is very vague and lacks depth. Overall the reader gets no impression on you as an individual, but a shallowly illustrated metaphorical depiction of life.

xyzz said...
an extended metaphor like that is hard to make work, and this didnt work.