Teege's College Entrance Essay | Teen Ink

Teege's College Entrance Essay

July 17, 2009
By Teeje SILVER, St. Paul, Minnesota
Teeje SILVER, St. Paul, Minnesota
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Something you need to know about me to survive: When I want to speak my mind, I usually speak my mind; no one is safe from my brutality. Some people take it personally, but they shouldn't because I even do it to my own parents. I'm a very apathetic person sometimes and some people can’t handle it. Who cares? Is what I say. If you can't take it, you know where the heck to go. It's a cruel world anyway. I'm just prepping you up for what it's like out there, because believe me: I know I'm not as bad as 1/2 the people out there. I’ve just been through more in my life than you and it made me tougher and I don’t take crap from anyone.
I'm glad that I have 3 older brothers. I guess I have to give some credit to them since I got a lot of practice in self defense when I got picked on by them and I think I'm ready to be a pro wrestler. God help anyone who tries to put their hands on me. I can bring out a can of
whoop a** pretty d*** quick.
When I moved to America, I learned that people are scared of the unknown. I spoke a different language, I wore different clothes, I behaved differently. Everything about me was different and my fellow classmates didn’t like that and would pick on me mercilessly and I eventually realized that they were scared of me because they didn’t know me. And to be honest, I was scared of them as well.”


My passion is writing. I love writing books most of the time. Teen drama is probably my subject of choice just because I am a teenager and I think I would be very good at writing about kids my age. I have the inside scoop, something that a lot of writers who write about teens don’t have.

Writing really gives me a sense of control, which is very important to me because I feel that when you lose control, you lose track of what’s happening with yourself and whatever’s going on around you.

I control what happens to my characters, who they are, and what they think. I like creating identities. I like imagining what they would do in certain situations, and then have them actually do it and wondering how I would react to situations the way they do because I don’t like to make them entirely like me. I create characters that I absolutely can’t stand and so wish that they would go away, but I’m writing about a person’s life here, and there are people in you life that you can’t stand and who you wish would just disappear, but that’s life. My characters are like my family and that really helps me get into my writing, but it can backfire on me because I may not always be ‘objective’ the things I write.

I like to be very straight up with myself and with people around me because I feel like life’s too short and I have don’t have time for nonsense. I don’t change myself for other people and I do have a mind of my own and that’s how I would want to represent my characters. They have their own identities and they don’t like to waste time on some of the silly stuff. I like to be raw when I write instead of sugarcoating things.
When I got to fourth grade, I started hearing my classmates cussing around me everyday. I knew what the words were, and that they were bad words that only my parents were allowed to say, but soon, I began adjusting to that new change by saying them too. When I got to junior high, even some of my friends were already ditching school and doing other things they weren't supposed to. In a lot of books, you don’t see what really goes on. I don’t necessarily write how people should deal with those types of things, I only write about how I would react, how I have reacted, and how I’ve seen others react to it because I can’t really speak for all the other kids out there, so I won’t.

My favorite character that I’ve created would most likely be Mia Airaldo. She’s an Italian immigrant and moved to the U.S. at the young age of eight. She had to learn to be tough because people judge you if you’re different and she had to learn how to adapt to a completely new life. I think that her move to the U.S. and that huge adjusting period helped her adjust to going to middle school, and then high school, and even college when I do get to that part. I won’t really be getting that far anytime soon because I have yet to make that transition and that adjustment and you can’t really write a good story about an experience that you haven’t even experienced.

The reason I made Mia an Italian character is because I love the Italian culture and it is my dream to live in Italy and experience life as an Italian. So I chose to incorporate that interest into my writing and I like it a lot because I'm somewhat familiar with it.

I know I'm a good writer, and I know that confidence in myself is very important. But I want to be confident in saying that I am a great writer and I'm very eager to learn more and expand on what I already know. And that's why I want to attend your school.

The author's comments:
This is the essay that I wrote for my college entrance essay and I hope people like it, and I hope it impresses the colleges that I send it to.