Video Production Serendipity | Teen Ink

Video Production Serendipity

April 17, 2024
By prfletch BRONZE, Gilbert, Arizona
prfletch BRONZE, Gilbert, Arizona
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The worry shared by all incoming freshmen in high school: walking into the wrong class on the first day. Unfortunately, I didn't beat the odds, and I, too, walked into the wrong first-period class on my first day of high school. As I walked in, I tried to fake my confidence, hoping  it would eventually click. Not until the teacher called attendance did I realize that I was in the wrong class. Although it seems insignificant now, at the time I thought I had made a big error, one of those end-all-be-all situations predicting the trajectory of my next four years. I had the same disorientation one feels when trying to complete a jigsaw puzzle. Like when a misplaced puzzle piece disrupts the overall picture, the wrong first-period class initially seemed like a puzzle not coming together. The teacher called me up and advised me to head to the advisor in the front office. The adviser informed me that my schedule was all messed up; a technical error on their database had caused my printed schedule to not match the one on their side. 

Since the class I had just left was at maximum capacity, I had to choose a new class. I was clueless as to what to choose since I didn't feel a strong interest in any of the limited class options left. The adviser, perhaps annoyed by my indecisiveness, made the decision for me. “How about Video Production?” she exclaimed.

Without any prior knowledge or preparedness and simply in desperation to feel settled, I said yes. I figured I liked watching movies, so I must like learning how to make them. This one random mess-up in the schedule led to a four-year-long passion project. The puzzle piece was  redirected, leading me to an unexpected yet fitting realm of video production. One that gave me a new interest, the comfort I needed in that once-large-scary school, and the opportunity to study the principles of filmmaking as well as more about myself.

Before entering high school, I didn't have any standout hobbies or talents. This insecurity lingered throughout my childhood and early adolescence since it felt like all the kids around me were part of the dance team or choir, or had a cool fascination with bugs or video games. I prematurely concluded that I was just generic. It wasn't that I didn't try out different hobbies or attempt to be interested in a certain topic; it was just that none of them stuck. Every hobby and pursuit was another puzzle piece I tried out that didn't fit with the rest of the image. I felt like I had little to nothing to show forth, making the transition into high school even more scary.

I was under the impression that there are cliques in high school determined by your sport or extracurricular activity, partially due to Hollywood's depiction. I accepted the fate that my high school experience would be lackluster and consist of me taking the general ED courses and occasionally having to suffer my way through the elective P.E class. Being placed at random in the Video Production course that I had yet to give any time or thought, was a turning point. As I went about the first semester learning about all things video production, I finally felt a passion brew up. I didn't even realize I liked it that much until one day I just started getting excited to go to that class. From there, it turned into a class I would spend the most time doing homework for out of class, a strong indicator of what held my attention. Accomplishing milestones in the class were another contributing factor to the passion. For instance I was able to be part of the student news broadcast team that delivered episodes every friday.  I loved all the intricacies behind making a film.

Wanting to belong is an innate emotion. Putting ourselves into categories, labeling ourselves as members of groups is something we do. Whether it be a good thing or a bad thing, we all go about our days chasing that feeling of belonging. I am no exception to the rule. I also sought to be part of something bigger than myself.  Due to this new passion, I was able to grow into my surroundings and finally feel like I belonged at the school, which I had so much hoped for on that first day of high school. Since I was dedicated to continuing and taking the three additional courses in video production, totaling four long years of making videos, writing scripts, and working with a crew to make the student news broadcast, I felt as if this now was a part of me, at least a fiber of me, contributing to my confidence and feeling of belonging. I had found my hobby; the thing that set me apart. Most importantly, through the experience, I found friends, which was at the top of my worry list freshman year. Comparing my senior self to my freshman year, one could see a clear shift in the way I held myself. Finding a passion does wonders for self-esteem.

As a freshman in college, I bring with me many of the lessons I learned from this once dreadful experience. This serendipitous pairing of me and video production prepared me for this new challenge of College. Although I am currently not enrolled in any video production classes here and do not nearly make as many videos as I once did; I still feel continuously inspired by the lessons I learned from that course. I like to think that because of that course, I now have the self-assurance to pursue other hobbies. Consistently challenging myself and  completing four years of that course reassured me that I can and am willing to have passions, hobbies, and talents. In turn, I have learned that being a part of a club, a specific major, or just a conversation on a topic of interest is crucial to my well-being. 

Each experience and course acts as a unique piece that will hopefully contribute to the ever-changing personal puzzle image. What I came to realize is that this ongoing puzzle of life acts more so like a kaleidoscope: continually shifting. There is no true completion of a puzzle in life where every piece fits together. Like a kaleidoscope, my ambitions, interests, and passions will shift and evolve as I get older. With that in mind, I am  searching for things to be part of here at Arizona State University. I have recently applied to be a part of the school’s newspaper: State Press reporting about all things ASU. Not only will the fundamentals of filmmaking and the journalism aspect of my high school video production class help me achieve this goal, but also the newfound confidence will help me push myself out there, applying for other opportunities like the State Press. I welcome the ever-changing aspect of life's kaleidoscope as I set out on this adventure at Arizona State University, knowing that every experience, like a distinct piece in a puzzle, will add to the bright picture of my academic and personal development.


The author's comments:

This was the first essay I wrote in college that I was actually proud of. I even had my professor read through every single line to make sure it was of quality.