My Vision | Teen Ink

My Vision

By Yeni BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Yeni BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"Some people feel the rain, others just get wet." - Bob Marley

The American activist Frederick Douglass once said, “If there is no struggle, there is no progress.” My name is Yeni. I attend high school as a sophomore, I’m a daughter, sister, aunty, and my parents hope to success. However, I consider myself persistent, continuing what I started even after failing in similarity with Frederick Douglass expressing progress. I live in a family who struggles on a daily basis. I give my best to show them that I can become a first-gen student after graduating high school and be able to give them what they once couldn’t have. My family shows me to have perseverance and outreach my goals. The future will have me get through the tough times in progressing of being a mechanical engineer. Therefore, I am a persistent person who doesn’t let failure take over their desires.

My family is a strong representation of my life. For example, they allow me to believe I can become someone successful in life by seeing what they have been through to be in the United States. My parents and older siblings are nonresidents who have struggled to find secure employment to keep each other under a safe roof and not suffer from hunger. Putting myself in their shoes allows me to understand how they suffer each day and keeps me on moving forward to be able to have them rest from my relentless goals. I have respect towards what my family has achieved from having nothing to something. I hold the struggles that we have been through and I continue to beat them.

The rare feeling of going to school is what makes me who I currently am. For example, I like going to school. It isn’t a common perspective since most students consider it to not have importance. Though I find it as a way where I can show my perseverance and grow as a person. Strongly building me into facing the struggles and progressing in them as an inspiration from Frederick Douglas. My career is constantly on my mind and I can see myself struggling to show those who expect more from me, even though I don’t consider myself focusing on what they want from me I direct myself to what I want. In that case education is my number one priority that I constantly carry on without depending on time. I make sure I am on time for my classes and ready to continue the progress of reaching my goals. I gain knowledge in different subjects and from the professor’s ways of expressing education with a growth mindset. As a student I expect challenges and find ways to overcome them, while learning from my mistakes and doing better.

Being an enthusiast of cars is what creates my future. The feeling of wanting to wake up every morning is what demonstrates my affection for exotic cars. Believing I will create one of my own is what gets me out of bed every morning, accomplishing my daily routines leads me to becoming a mechanical engineer. Which I need the knowledge to achieve my goal of building my own car, not only that but to determine problems with mechanical devices and provide solutions. I want to learn more about the ways cars are created and what it is that they hold so much power to be able to be embraced by their drivers. I find it as a way to be able to work on something that I enjoy doing and having the progress to become a well known engineer knowing I can help my family and friends with their vehicles or technologies. Struggling but at the same time progressing is what Douglas evokes me into believing, that I can create my dream vehicles such as a low rider to cruise low and slow, down old Sacramento with a small crew, and customizing one of my own drift cars to join a car club and see all the other masterpieces at car meets. Cars will show the amount of effort I put towards what I want to get in life and will eventually have it.

With this in mind, I am a persistent person who has defenseless goals that lead me into becoming an unbeatable person. I continue chasing my desires and don’t stop until I have what my family has been suffering for. I recall this from Fredreick Douglas stating the importance of struggle in achieving progress. Ahead in my life I will continue to have perseverance and determination to be an engineer. Knowing how technology works and having an opportunity to introduce technologies to other industries. Developing what you have created will have a great outlook in showing that you deserve what you have accomplished for.

This is my first attempt at a college essay. I want to continue succeeding in life to become an engineer.