What Is My Dream | Teen Ink

What Is My Dream

By XDGAMER BRONZE, Sacramento, California
XDGAMER BRONZE, Sacramento, California

¨Push Yourself, Because no one else is going to do it for you¨- Anonymous

It all started when I was around 15 I was a freshman in high school and my dad asked me and my mom to bring him something so he could finish the job that he was doing he asked me if I wanted to stay and help him which I did stay. Some time passed before my dad asked me if I wanted to go to work with him which I replied to him and said yes. So that is what he did he started to take me to work with him and started to teach me the basics of the work that he did and slowly as time went I learned more and he taught me more like the different steps to complete different jobs. So from that summer on I would go to work with him even on weekends and days I had no school.

Every time I would go to work with my dad and we would go pick up different materials for the job I would look at all the different businesses that were there and how they had their trucks with their machines and I wondered to myself what if. What if I started a Business but not an ordinary business a construction business I enjoyed the times I would go to work with my dad so I decided that I wanted to build my own business Because I would be able to do something different create new building use my imagination and build the things I imagined to help people have a better life but as well a better future.

My Dream is to have a construction business. My Dream is important because it is what you are in right now a building. It might be at your home or work but it is where memories happen. Construction is what built America without it our future today would have looked very differently. Also, everybody needs buildings, stores, and parks whether that is just for having fun getting the groceries or even getting to know your community. Construction is what makes our day-to-day lives easier, even when it comes to driving your car the roads that you are driving on were built by construction workers. 

What I need will for the starter I will first need to graduate high school and possibly go to college and get a degree in business if I want to get experience with construction I will need to get a degree in engineering/ architecture so that it will be able to help me become bigger and be able to get bigger jobs like building parks or even building houses. Foundation software states “You’ll want to know how many local construction companies are already operating in your area, what they specialize in, how much they charge, and what their reputation is.” You will need to know this because it will give you an advantage over your competitors. It will allow you to be able to know what services you will want to give.

The different steps I will need to take to achieve this dream are Gaining firsthand experience with construction, seeing how it works, how to do different jobs, how to do different things, and getting different licenses. Also, Foundation software states “Depending on your state, the location of your business, the size of your company, and even the type of construction you plan to do, you’re likely going to need some type of license or permit to operate legally — on both the federal and state level.” In California, I will need to get a CSLB License from the California Contractors State License Board and it requires me to have at least 4 years of experience. Where I will try to get the experience is when I graduate college and work for someone so as to be able to know more about business owner. 

Where I will get help first of all I will get help from my dad because he has been doing it for years but I will also get help from a friend that I know who has a small business. I will try to ask them how they started, where they started and what are the first steps I should take. Foundation software states “Through the SBA you can also access the Small Business Development Center (SBDC) list, which contains all the SBDCs in your state. They offer a variety of free business consulting services and low-cost training.” This will be useful knowledge to know because it will allow me to ask them a lot of questions and ask them how to get my business out there.

In conclusion, From what I have said before My Dream is to become a Business owner because I want to help our people by using my creativity and my imagination to create things people have not created before to be able to have a better future for us. That is why My Dream is to have My own business.

This was my first College essay, what gave me inspiration for writing it was going to dream college one day at UC Davis.