My dream is to become a filmmaker in the arts of screenwriting. | Teen Ink

My dream is to become a filmmaker in the arts of screenwriting.

By writervincent BRONZE, Sacramento, California
writervincent BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"I feel more together when I am a mess." -NF on the song "Like This"

Ever since I was a little boy, I loved to write stories. Storytelling was my favorite hobby in school. I grew up watching new films and TV shows with my older sister every night. New stories and new genres always amaze me. I remember going to the movies to see Ryan Coogler’s Black Panther for the first time. Watching a superhero on the big screen who had the same color skin as me was very inspiring to me. Essentially it was the first African-led superhero film of the new generation. I wanted to write stories like that. Stories that could inspire people. Stories where people could see themselves in a new light. 

Filmmaking is important for our society. It allows us to see ourselves in a new light. It allows us to escape from our true reality and all of our worries and enter a world of fantasy. Movies and storytelling have undoubtedly had an impact on our society. I can say that movies have impacted my life. I didn’t always have the best circumstances at home and like everybody I’ve had my bad days. But movies and TV shows have always been a go-to for me so that I can feel better. Even if it was just for an hour and a half. So that’s what I want to do. I want to write stories for people. Films have the power to evoke a wide range of emotions. Films can also share a cultural experience that can potentially bring people together. I loved the way films shed light on important social issues.

My father once told me that “movies can spark conversations about topics that are difficult to discuss.”

I learned that also movies have the ability to challenge perspectives and provoke thoughts. To be someone who does that for people globally is my dream. Changing the world with stories. 

I will need the help of everybody around me. Educating myself is the first step to becoming a screenplay writer. There are books that walk you through the ways to write a script. There are so many different aspects to storytelling. Such as cinematography, directing, and editing. Studying the works of famous filmmakers and storytellers from all sorts of genres and eras. In the article “How To Become A Screenwriter in 7 Steps”, Stephanie Plamer says, “You’re a writer. Your primary job is to write.” So no matter what I do, I just need to continue to write. Always having something you’re working on such as scripts or concepts of stories is always subjective to be what gets you the next big job. So just continue to write. USC School of Cinematic Arts is the college of my dreams. There, I could make connections with people who work in the film industry. It can help me get my foot through the door. With that being said I will need the help of my college professors so that they can steer me in the right direction. 

My passion is screenwriting. Having a genuine passion for my dream is essential. Movies are what fuel my motivation and dedication. Because without a doubt there will be obstacles along the way. So I will have resilience. I’ll learn how to bounce back from the inevitable failures and keep moving forward despite the challenges. I will make sure to have grit and commitment. I want to be a screenplay writer, and in order for that to happen I need to put the necessary time and effort into it. Stepanie Palmer states “Build a network of relationships.” Building relationships and networking with like-minded people can provide support and guidance. Collaborating with others can bring fresh perspectives. 

Becoming a screenwriter is not going to be easy. But I remember that everyone's journey is unique, and these qualities can vary depending on your dream. Patience is a big quality that I will need. I want to be able to create stories that inspire others the way movies inspire me. I want to be able to take part in changing the world with movies that tackle important issues nobody will talk about. I want to be a screenplay writer, for the people, because it is my dream.  

This is my first time writing a topic about what I want to do professionally.