My dream to become a D1 athlete | Teen Ink

My dream to become a D1 athlete

By mongtrue-her2006 SILVER, Sac, California
mongtrue-her2006 SILVER, Sac, California

“In my mind, I’m always the best. I don’t care what people say, what the other people think- in my mind, I’m always the best.” Cristiano Ronaldo.

When I was U8 I first started playing soccer with a club team. When I was playing, it was a feeling I couldn't understand or describe but all I knew was that I love it. Like I´ve been playing soccer my whole life already. Every week, me and my family would go to the park and I would love to watch my brothers, cousins, and uncles train together. It would be like a family reunion once a week. Having the spark light up, that has always been inside me. I remember my older brothers coming home from their game, angry or sad, and I never understood why until I was 12. 

We lost the match in the finals. The second half of the first 20 minutes, I injured my right knee, sprained my MCL, and had a choice to get the full surgery, if I ever wanted to play soccer again. It was optional, but I couldn't see a life without playing soccer. It was like being banned from my family. I asked my dad, who is very hardworking and traditional. Of course I was really nervous too, I didn't have a strong bond with my dad growing up because of how busy he was but I always respected him. He looked at me and he said with his soft voice, ¨If you really love playing, we will give you the surgery just keep working hard¨. I carried what my dad said to me ever since. 

At age 14-15, dealing with covid, training extra hard to gain my strength and confidence back. I learned to have resilience and discipline. That's when I saw the truth that my soccer journey isn't the end for me. I discovered how to see the culture and how much soccer helped me become who I am today. I devolve responsibility, patience, and determination. I realize soccer evolves everywhere in life, not just on the field. 

Every young athlete's dream is to be a professional athlete. Mine was. Before going into middle school, I learned that each school has a soccer team and that they play against each other. When I went into high school, I learned about college soccer, what divisions are and how competitive it is to get in compared to playing in middle school and high school. I learned from asking retired college athletes questions about having a full ride and scholarship meant by just playing for the school, can get you a great free education. My teacher, Mr. Johnson, who used to play D1 water polo at UOP, states ¨it was hard, challenging, and tested everything that I had¨. I picked up different skills and knowledge from every athlete I've met or played against. The more I talked about it, I became more passionate about wanting to play in college and wondered what route I would take. 

I need to develop to communicate better with coaches. How to professionally write an email and know what to say when I see them in person, instead of my mind just going blank. I want to be comfortable talking to college coaches. The first step I need to take is taking a chance. I feel too worried about what coaches will first think about me because your whole life you look up to them and just want to have a good first impression. ¨One, show the work ethic. Show the coachability, it’s huge. Not just the star, I know everything. Be coachable. Those are the things that they are gonna look for. It is huge.¨, My teacher, Mr. Williams, retired college athlete, states that it is not all just by playing the sport. I am that teammate who will be the one who shows up to put in the extra work, not scared of taking risks, and I am the one you can count on. If we don't see eye to eye, I try my best to be understanding and that people always have their own reasons. I am learning how to become a better person. I am learning to be a communicator for people older than me, not just people around my age. 

¨Be ready, you´re not good enough yet, keep growing, keep learning from your mistakes, you can get there, but when you go there, you're gonna learn really quickly, ur not as good as you think you are, so keep getting better because they are good.¨ Mr. Johnson states, who used to play D1 water polo at UOP. I know everything in life is never going to be enough. I´ve been preparing myself for this moment. I was behind and I had to work extra hard to get where I'm at. Till this day I still am. I am getting help from my family, team, and coaches. Most of all I had to get it myself. I am going to continue training hard, do my best performance at games/showcases and keep my grades up. I'm continuing to be patient because I know my time is coming. 

My dream is to become a D1 athlete. To reach for my dream through the tears and sweat. Although I think what dreams are, I am going to continue to dream as long as I can. What will my life be without dreams? Dreams are a mystery. Dreams are a lie. Dreams are the future. Dreams can die.

This is my first college essay to become playing D1 at a UC or CSU.