Requintista | Teen Ink

Requintista

By Angelorozzcoo BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Angelorozzcoo BRONZE, Sacramento, California

I remember when my dad used to take me to school blasting corridos, and how I always felt embarrassed by it, how other kids would make fun of it, and how much I hated it. But now that I look back at those moments I still feel embarrassed but not about the music, but about how I acted back then. I remember the first time I heard el mentado by ariel Camacho. Something completely different to what I was used to listening just 2 guitars and a tube, a sound that I loved ever since I first heard it with that song, but even then what really made me pick up an instrument was a new up and coming wave of new and young artists with creative ideas and a really different style, just seeing teenagers almost your age performing if front of thousands of people is inspiring, that is my dream.

I decided I wanted to work on my skills as a guitarist to become a musician when I first started hearing about a new up and coming group of young artist who called themselves “las 3 Torres” I started listening to their music and i fell in love with it. What really stood out for me was the guitars and how they used them, I had never heard guitars being used like that’s, it was a unique sound which a lot hated but the youth loved it. And I was part of the people that loved me, this was one of the key reasons I decided to get a guitar and pursue music.

The steps i will take to achieve my goal of becoming a musician are to get good enough at the instrument so I can be noticed by other people, make a following of some sort for example, tik tok, Instagram etc. I think this is a crucial step for all musicians, you always need an audience or in this case a following so people can notice you and so you can put your name out there. The next step I would take is to join or make a local group, play on the weekends in things like parties anniversaries and weddings, the last step I would take to be a musician is to get signed by a label and start releasing my own music.

The qualities someone should have to become a successful musician are to be patient. Patience will take you a long way, you need patience for everything but specially for being a musician, first you need a lot of patience to learn a instrument because it’s a really slow process, for example I’ve been playing guitar for about 7 months and I’m still not anywhere near where I wanna be. It’s a really long process which you will need a lot of patience for. Another quality you must have to become a musician is perseverance, to not give up.

To become a musician a lot of help is needed. I have had some experienced musicians give me tips and tell me stuff that has helped me a lot along the way, for example someone I know who recently graduated from this school gave me a lot of tips when I first started that have helped me a lot overtime, things like learning the basics first and how everything starts from the basics. You must perfect your basics to be a good musician, I will also need help from the people whether it be family, friends or supporters, a musician without people is nothing.

Being a musician is hard, but I believe I will become someone with it, and inspire many others like me being a musician is my dream.

This is my first college essay but not the last.