My Dream is to Become a Game Developer | Teen Ink

My Dream is to Become a Game Developer

By BleuDude BRONZE, Sacramento, California
BleuDude BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"If you're absent through my struggle, don't expect to be present during my success" - Will Smith

People consider video games to be a complete waste of time, especially game developing, But game developing can open the minds of many and allow many to create whatever they desire. This can allow people that play the game to enjoy them and have fun, and It could also inspire them to make similar games to others. I think that game developing is a great job and with great coding skills, it will seem much easier. An article states “Most individuals love video games, and those with excellent technical abilities and a detailed understanding of gaming systems may find excellent professional prospects in the gaming sector.” I would love to become a game developer but sometimes I ask myself, where do I begin? Where will I go? And what will I need to achieve it?

To start things off I will have to know how to code, now it may seem difficult but the more coding experience, the better and easier it will be to create video games. Coding is the main part in creating a video game. If something wants to be moved like a ball for example, there will be a line of code written in order for that object to move. Think code as the piece that gives life to an object and code can't be done without proper writing. Writing is another skill I will have to get good at if I want to become a game developer. When writing multiple lines of code, things should be well written without any spelling mistakes as that can cause the code to bug and not function properly. Great now that I know coding is an important skill to learn when creating video games, what else will I need? Math. Wait what? Math? Yes it may seem crazy but math will be needed as it will be used a ton when coding. It is primarily used when using number values such as, how far will this ball go? How fast a character is running, and so much more.

Where can I go to learn about game development? Well I could take coding classes in college or online, and if I want to start off slow and small I could watch tutorials on YouTube or I could look at posts on the internet about it like on Reddit or Twitter. I could also ask some friends of mine who make small games in Roblox. There are many ways I can achieve this goal, I just need to set my mind to it. If I want to create a player in my game, I can simply just YouTube it or look at a post. What if I want to get advanced at coding? I could look up some coding classes and see where I can start off. The internet is such a giant place and can answer most of your questions if not all of them. An article states “While working in video game development can be challenging, it can also be rewarding to take part in creating something you’re passionate about (and that your potential customers are passionate about as well).” Yes it may seem hard but with practice all of this will get so much easier.

There are tons of responsibilities when it comes to game development, An article states “Developing a video game requires a combination of creative and analytical skills. Video game developers must work together to develop the concept for a game while following project timelines, interacting with team members, and working within a budget.” At this point I also realized teamwork is also beneficial with game development. Many people can work together and play test their games before they finish it or release it to the public. But sometimes you have to be careful who you trust as some can mess things up or purposely break something. You can build that trust with them by getting to know them well, handing them stuff, and giving them a bit more power than others.

Why is becoming a game developer important? Some people may ask this question. I would personally respond with one word “Connection” I pick this word because what makes a game great? A connection with its fans or players. With this connection and success it motivates the game creators to make more games based on the same franchise or similar games. Heck even the fans might make their own fan versions of that game. Connection also helps with game developers adding what the fans want into their game as perhaps an update or some sort. This also establishes a great relationship with the fans and the fans will see the creator as someone who truly cares for their fans and their work. An article states “Video game developers help transform games from a concept to a playable reality. They do this by coding visual elements, programming features, and testing iterations until a game is ready for market. If you love video games and enjoy working with computers, a career in video game development can be immensely rewarding.” I heavily agree with this statement. Game development is also important as big names companies such as Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft just to name a few are sometimes in need of developers to help make games, and with more developers the quicker games can get finished.

Well at this point most people get the idea of what I want to be. My dream is to become a game developer as I want to create games for many people to enjoy and hopefully to work for a big named company such as Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft. If not I could probably make my own small company and work on many projects. But I’ll see where life will take me.

What inspired me to write this piece is my love for video games and me making small and very simple games back then inside Roblox Studio. I didn't really get that far into them but I still had lots of fun making these games.

Works Cited: simplilearn.com/how-to-become-a-game-developer-article
coursera.org/articles/game-developer