Born Obstacles: Life Narrative About Me | Teen Ink

Born Obstacles: Life Narrative About Me

By HSimmons18 BRONZE, North Augusta, South Carolina
HSimmons18 BRONZE, North Augusta, South Carolina

Honestly speaking, no one would ever guess what I have gone through. Yet, those things that have so wrongly afflicted me are what have caused me the most tremendous success. Yes, there are times when those wrong-doings harmed me, but they also shaped me. I was born into a world where my mother did not care for me and caused me so much damage– damage that cannot be reversed and undone. I was born with methamphetamine in my system, which was not the ideal way to come into this world and it was quite costly. It is a miracle that I obtained a successful life because most meth babies wind up with disabilities and sometimes diseases. My immune system is weaker than others, and when I get sick it would show.  I developed allergies to most foods, most of the outside world, and even some medications.  But, being born with this drug in my system has proven to be my lighthouse because it causes me to think about making better decisions than those that led to my birth. Since my childhood, the decision not to do drugs has been simple because I would never want my child to go through the same thing I had to go through. Obstacles I encountered during my childhood, such as my health and living situation, have been instruments in nurturing my success through my childhood before being adopted, my spiritual growth after being adopted, and my personal growth throughout my whole life.

Some people would pity me if they knew about my childhood; however, each event that happened in my childhood provided growth, not only spiritually but also personally. Knowing God had His whole grace around me, was the most truth I knew growing up. To keep us from being beaten or belittled, my two half-sisters and I would stay away from the house until our mother went to sleep. I might have been six years old, but I always had the same constant thought in mind: When will I be saved from this horrible situation I am in? Being beaten, having to walk to stores due to there being no car, and being raised 90% of my childhood by my oldest half-sister Kara. The only good memories I can remember were Saturday cartoons on the satellite channels. Anna and I would get up super early to sit on the living room floor of our trailer to watch the many cartoons. Those little nuggets of joy were a few of the reasons why I believed there was hope. I was never officially in a foster home; however, I was bounced around from family to family. And when I came to the fifth family, I had found my forever home. 

I obtained spiritual growth after being adopted on October 31, 2013. I had just turned eight and my aunt and uncle were faced with my health issues due to my weak immune system and my feral behaviors. The average height for a third-grade female is 4’3”, and the weight is around sixty-nine pounds. Yet, when they got me I was 3’2” and weighed forty-five pounds, and was wearing three-toddler shorts. I had never gone to the dentist yet had no cavities; barely went to the doctor so I was behind on all my shots, yet still am standing. I serve every Sunday in the three-year-old room with my adopted mom because of that shield God placed over me growing up; I am saved and a full believer in God. From not knowing if he was real because of what I had gone through to realizing he was there all along shielding me, protecting me. 

My personal growth is also pretty remarkable. Before being adopted, I would think to myself: If I do my best in school then I can get myself into a good college and get away from all this. So I have always been blessed with book knowledge and it has always been my lifesaver. I was around five or six but  I had that mentality even at a young age because I knew the childhood I went through wasn’t what a child should ever have to go through. Unfortunately, I usually blank out during tests, but thankfully my overall work ethic makes up for it. I learned the difference between needing things and wanting them due to my childhood situation. I also learned kids my age were spoiled and never knew the meaning of being thankful for what they had. Being in my situation growing up, I was thankful just to have some food on a plate. Because of the obstacles set in front of me, I am told that I am such an inspirational person. With those obstacles came wisdom and responsibility. 

My past of living in horrible conditions to never having the needed health care was a journey for sure. Even though, I know my biological parents, I do not know my ancestry or my history. Going through a society that always wants to know, “Where are your ancestors from?” This question was something I could never answer growing up, but I can answer one question: “Why do you strive so hard to make people happy and keep peace?” The reason is because I was raised in hell and that is why I strive to help people facing similar situations like mine. I will never give the cold shoulder to someone who needs to rest his head on it the most. It would not be right of me to be so mean to others going through this situation due to me getting the opportunity of being blessed and taken care of. I know I exist for a purpose and it makes me happy when I can help people realize their purpose. Even though, I lacked that help growing up, the perseverance, drive, and passion I have obtained by going through those birth obstacles, helped shape my life.

This is a narrative about myself.