What would happen if we banned billionaires? | Teen Ink

What would happen if we banned billionaires?

By Larkinnnnnnnn BRONZE, Shanghai, Other
Larkinnnnnnnn BRONZE, Shanghai, Other

Introduction

The existence of billionaires is generally accepted to generate many benefits for societal and economic well-being, such as job creation, innovation, and philanthropic activities. However, their existence is not an unequivocal good, precipitating rising wealth concentration, erosion of the middle class, and political distortion. Therefore, policies have been proposed to address this problem. Bernie Sanders’s “For the 99.8% Act” proposed, inter alia, a progressive tax rate up to 65% for estates valued at $1 billion [1]. In what follows, I consider the effects of a more radical policy: a ‘ban on billionaires’, implemented within a single country as a 100% capital tax on all individual’s assets in excess of $1bn. Ultimately, although the policy may go some way to mitigate the disadvantages of billionaire’s existence, described above, its disadvantages would outweigh its advantages.

Section I: Economic effects

A ban on billionaires have dramatic negative impacts on the wider economy. Firstly, it would introduce substantial efficiency costs by discouraging entrepreneurship among billionaires. Under the policy, former billionaires who are economically rational would become more inclined to choose leisure over labor, resulting in reduced productivity and aggregate output [2]. The disincentivization of labor arises from fact that bans on high earnings imply lower net wages, reducing opportunity cost of leisure. Consequently, the optimal "bundle of goods," comprising leisure and labor, would contain more leisure than a scenario where the billionaire ban was not in effect. This process can lead to negative externalities, such as a reduction in aggregate output which is amplified by the multiplier effect. The net reduction in tax revenue also limits the fiscal reserves necessary to implement supply-side reforms, further exacerbating the issue of low productivity.

Nevertheless, it is true that several factors moderate this discouragement of entrepreneurship. Firstly, even if billionaires are discouraged from entrepreneurial activities, their companies may well still experience growth, especially when management is dispersed among a larger number of individuals. This dispersion ensures that non-billionaires can still benefit from the growth of these companies and thus have the incentive to work hard for their success. Additionally, billionaires have various means to evade the proposed taxes by placing their wealth in offshore accounts, transferring assets to trusted family members, and directing their money toward tax-exempt purchases such as philanthropy [3]. Moreover, since much of billionaires’ wealth tends to be held in goods of ambiguous market value such as art and real estate, the government’s valuations of such goods will likely be subject to legal challenges from entrepreneurs. This can be evidenced by Buffett’s wealth. His company owns a diverse range of subsidiaries; each has its own financials and valuation considerations, making it difficult to ascertain their precise values [4]. Even if billionaires do not win their legal battles against government valuation, the state will incur significant legal fees, reducing incentives to properly implement the policy, these phenomena undermine the intended effect of the policy and limit its impact on entrepreneurship as well as overall economic welfare.

The second effect is that the policy would lead to possible capital flight and brain drain. The imposition of high taxes on billionaires creates a significant opportunity cost for them to remain in a country where their wealth is restricted. Billionaires are highly internationally mobile, and the costs associated with relocating to another country are relatively low. They are unlikely to face visa denials or be deterred by travel expenses. Initial costs incurred in the relocation process are quickly offset by the economic benefits of avoiding the billionaire ban. One notable example is the introduction of a wealth tax in France in 2013, which led to a substantial number of high-net-worth individuals relocating to other countries to avoid the tax burden. This relocation resulted in a significant loss of investment funds and expertise in the French economy [5]. Therefore, policies that restrict extreme wealth accumulation should carefully consider the potential consequences of capital flight and brain drain, and the overall impact on the domestic economy.

A third impact is that the policy could lead to a potential reduction in billionaires' investment dollars. They tend to have substantial financial resources and the ability to invest heavily in various sectors of the economy. Their investments drive innovation, stimulate economic growth and create jobs. However, billionaires may be less willing to invest in the domestic economy if the possibility of becoming a billionaire is limited. The allure of extreme wealth and the associated investment opportunities may wane, leading to lower capital inflows. A reduction in billionaire investment capital could adversely affect economic development as it limits the availability of funds for entrepreneurship, research and development, and infrastructure projects. In addition, lower investment could have knock-on effects on other parts of the economy, such as reduced access to capital for small and medium-sized enterprises, limited job creation, and slower technological progress. Policies to stem extreme accumulation of wealth should therefore carefully consider the potential consequences of reduced inflows of investment funds for billionaires and the impact on overall economic growth and development.

In addition to the immediate impact on billionaires, the policy could also raise concerns that other (non-billionaire) high-net-worth individuals are slipping. Once a precedent for limiting extreme wealth accumulation is set, there is concern that such policies will expand to target less wealthy individuals. Proposals for a wealth tax on billionaires in the United States have grown in recent years. That has raised concerns among critics about the potential mission contagion and slippery slope of tax policy. They argued that the initial tax burden could expand over time to include assets beyond the original intended target. In fact, the party is now preparing a surcharge on millionaires earning more than $10 million a year, a corporate minimum tax, and increased bank reporting6.

One of the economic hazards could be a drop in consumer and investor confidence in the domestic economy that could have an impact on the exchange rate. When policies indicate a lack of support for wealth creation and entrepreneurship, it can create uncertainty and undermine confidence in the overall economic environment. Lower confidence leads to lower consumer spending and investment, as individuals and businesses hesitate to make long-term commitments or take financial risks. As a result, reduced consumer and investor activity will have a negative impact on the domestic economy, potentially leading to slower economic growth, fewer jobs and less overall prosperity. In addition, a drop in investor confidence could lead to capital outflows as investors seek a more favorable environment, putting downward pressure on national currencies and affecting exchange rates. This affects trade competitiveness, import prices and inflation. Furthermore, banning billionaires would have the unintended consequence of undermining the motivation and efforts of early-career entrepreneurs. The lure of big financial rewards and the pursuit of billionaire status often serve as powerful drivers for entrepreneurs, fostering innovation and economic growth. However, if the desire to become a billionaire is inhibited, individuals may refocus on their goals and show diminished motivation. Their incentive to create wealth and invest is reduced, potentially dampening economic vitality. In the early 2000s, Venezuela went through a period of high oil prices, which resulted in a substantial accumulation of wealth for the country and its citizens. However, in the years that followed, the Venezuelan government implemented policies that drastically reduced economic returns and opportunities for wealth creation. As a result, entrepreneurial activity and innovation are suppressed. Business creation, investment and economic growth all declined in the country8. Thus, policies that limit the possibility of becoming a billionaire may have implications for entrepreneurial motivation and economic growth.

Still, the policy could lead to some redistribution of wealth—assuming the government decides to spend the revenue it collects on progressive relief, generating economic benefits. Less wealthy members of society tend to have a higher marginal propensity to consume, meaning they are more likely to spend a larger proportion of their income on goods and services. By redistributing wealth from the very rich to the less wealthy, aggregate demand increases and stimulates economic activity. An increase in consumption has a positive impact on businesses, generating higher sales and potentially higher levels of production and employment. Moreover, the multiplier effect can amplify the initial increase in spending; it has a knock-on effect as income generated by increased consumer demand flows through the economy. Thus, while investment funds may be reduced, the redistribution of wealth can have positive macroeconomic effects, promoting greater social equity and supporting overall economic growth. However, the magnitude of this effect is likely to be small: if, as I predict, billionaires simply emigrate or work less, the revenue collected by the government for redistribution will be small.

Section 2: Political Influence

Beyond the economic sphere, the policy will also have implications for how different groups interact with the political process. First, the implementation of the policy of banning billionaires may trigger political backlash and protests from all walks of life. The extent and nature of these protests depend on the political culture and social dynamics of the countries concerned. It is reasonable to assume that those wealthy individuals who stand to lose the most from such policies are more likely to protest. Their opposition may manifest itself in a variety of ways, such as lobbying, using their financial clout, or using their connections to challenge policy. Wealthy individuals represented by the Koch brothers strategically partner with organizations such as ALEC, which provides financial support to sympathetic legislators, shapes public opinion through PR campaigns, and downplays their involvement in order to effectively influence those in line with their interests and priorities Policy 9. In countries with weak rule of law, the wealthy may resort to intimidation to protect their interests.

Another political implication is that politicians opposing the policy may devote significant time and resources to parliamentary debates, further amplifying the political backlash. This allocation of political attention to the issue of extreme wealth accumulation may divert resources and attention from other pressing issues, potentially resulting in inefficiencies in the political process.

Finally, while billionaires may be less inclined to engage in direct forms of protest, they may use their influence to air their dissent by publishing articles in newspapers or other media. In contrast, protests by less wealthy individuals may take different forms, including public demonstrations, rallies, or other forms of collective action. The academic literature can shed light on factors that affect the likelihood that individuals will protest economic policies that negatively affect their financial well-being: fear of severe government retaliation has been shown to strongly inhibit protest10. For example, those with lower levels of identity and emotional stability were also the most likely to protest11, as well as those who believed the policy could lead to a slippery slope12.

It is worth noting that policies that discourage extreme wealth accumulation are likely to be popular with the less well-to-do segments of society. These people might see such measures as addressing income inequality, promoting equity and redistributing wealth to support social welfare programs. Their support for these policies may stem from the belief that extreme concentrations of wealth impede social mobility and exacerbate socioeconomic disparities. Understanding the dynamics of public opinion and support for wealth redistribution is critical for policymakers to assess the potential social impact of policies targeting extreme wealth accumulation.

Conclusion

In conclusion, banning billionaires has unintended consequences that outweigh its benefits. It hinders entrepreneurship, reduces productivity and limits economic well-being. Billionaires can evade taxes, and it's expensive to implement. It stifles entrepreneurial drive, leading to capital flight, brain drain, and less funding for investment. While wealth redistribution may stimulate economic activity, it also imposes economic burdens. There may be political backlash and protests. A balanced approach is needed to address wealth inequality without stifling entrepreneurship or discouraging investment, taking into account the trade-offs and consequences of a sustainable and equitable economic and political environment.

尾注:

1.“针对 99.8% 的 ACT 参议员伯尼·桑德斯对最富有的 0.2% 人的财富征税的立法摘要”,sanders.senate.gov/wp-content/uploads/estate-tax-one -寻呼机.pdf

2.汉森,Å。(2008)。财富税和创业活动。《创业杂志》,17(2),第 139-156 页。journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/097135570801700203

3. 量化国际避税:学术文献综述 degruyter.com/document/doi/10.1515/roe-2018-0004/html?lang=de

4. Ben Taylor,“自 1930 年代以来沃伦·巴菲特的财富如何增长”,发表于 2016 年 6 月 6 日上午 6:51,wtop.com/business-finance/2016/06/warren-buffetts-wealth-grew -自1930年代/

5. Jonathan Isaby,“法国的打砸抢税法将导致‘人才流失’”,CNN,美国东部时间晚上 7:31,2012 年 9 月 10 日星期一,edition.cnn.com/2012/09 /10/opinion/arnault-france-tax-rate/index.html

6. Kate Dore,“如果亿万富翁税继续存在,它可能会面临法律挑战。这就是原因”,2021 年 10 月 27 日星期三发布,cnbc.com/2021/10/27/if-billionaire-tax-survives-it-may-face-legal-challenges-heres-why。 html

7. Gaetano Lisi,“滑坡框架、税收士气和税收合规:理论整合和实证评估”,uv.es/erices/RePEc/WP/2019/0219.pdf

8. Gabriel V.Rindborg,“委内瑞拉石油和政治不稳定:委内瑞拉及其石油依赖的案例研究”,2018 年出版,semanticscholar.org/paper/Venezuelan-Oil-and-Political-Instability- %3A-A-案例-V.Rindborg/992ad0020478e604786e50a5511350cd91385a8e

9.美国的ALEC团体(Netflix的纪录片“13th”对此很感兴趣)。democracynow.org/2016/10/3/how_alec_the_kochs_publicly_back

10. Karl-Dieter Opp、Wolfgang Roehl,“镇压、微动员和政治抗议”,《社会力量》,第 69 卷,第 2 期,1990 年 12 月,第 521-547 页,doi.org/10.1093/sf/69.2 .521

11. Yi-Bin Chang、Dennis Lu-Chung Weng 和 Ching-Hsing Wang,“人格特质和抗议倾向:跨国分析”,第 22-41 页,在线发布:2020 年 9 月 1 日, /doi.org/10.1080/02185377.2020.1814365

12. 艾萨克·威廉·马丁,《富人运动:为百分之一减税的草根运动》(牛津大学出版社,2013 年)

参考书目

伯尼·桑德斯 | 美国佛蒙特州参议员。“参议员伯尼·桑德斯对最富有的 0.2% 人的财富征税的立法的 99.8% ACT 摘要。” 访问日期:2023 年 7 月 6 日。sanders.senate.gov/wp-content/uploads/estate-tax-one-pager.pdf。

张一斌、翁鲁中、王庆兴。“人格特质和抗议倾向:跨国分析。” 《亚洲政治学杂志》29,第 1 期。1(2021):22-41。doi.org/10.1080/02185377.2020.1814365。

现在的民主。“ALEC 和科赫兄弟如何公开支持刑事司法改革并私下扩大大规模监禁。” 2016 年 10 月 3 日。democracynow.org/2016/10/3/how_alec_the_kochs_publicly_back。

多尔、凯特. “如果亿万富翁税继续存在,它可能会面临法律挑战。这就是为什么。” 美国全国广播公司财经频道。2021 年 10 月 27 日。cnbc.com/2021/10/27/if-billionaire-tax-survives-it-may-face-legal-challenges-heres-why.html。

汉森、阿萨. “财富税和创业活动。” 创业杂志17,没有。2:139-156。doi.org/10.1177/097135570801700203

伊萨比,乔纳森。“法国的打砸抢税法将导致‘人才流失’。”CNN。2012 年 9 月 10 日。edition.cnn.com/2012/09/10/opinion/arnault-france-tax-rate/index.html。

Lisi, Gaetano. “Slippery Slope Framework, Tax Morale And Tax Compliance: A Theoretical Integration And An Empirical Assessment.” February 2019. uv.es/erices/ RePEc/WP/2019/0219.pdf.

Martin, Issac. Rich People’s Movements: Grassroots Campaigns to Untax the One Percent. Oxford University Press, 2013.

Opp, Karl-Dieter and Wolfgang Roehl. “Repression, Micromobilization, and Political Protest.” Social Forces 69, no. 2, (December 1990): 521–547. doi.org/10.1093/ sf/69.2.521.

Riedel, Nadine. “Quantifying International Tax Avoidance: A Review of the Academic Literature.” Review of Economics 69, no. 2. (February 2018): 169-181. doi.org/10.1515/roe-2018-0004.

林德伯格,加布里埃尔。“委内瑞拉石油和政治不稳定:委内瑞拉及其石油依赖的案例研究。” 2018。semanticscholar.org/paper/Venezuelan-Oil-and-Political-Instability-%3A-A-Case V.Rindborg/992ad0020478e604786e50a5511350 cd91385a8e

泰勒、本. “自 20 世纪 30 年代以来沃伦·巴菲特的财富如何增长。” 世贸新闻。2016 年 6 月 6 日。wtop.com/business-finance/2016/06/warren-buffetts-wealth-grew-since-1930s/。

This article is the best article I have ever written in my life. However, when I tried to use it to win an essay contest, I failed. Therefore, I am posting this article here, hoping that others will also read this article, discuss it, and give me advice.