Memorable Momemt | Teen Ink

Memorable Momemt

A memorable moment…There are so many, how can I choose just one? If I look back at the memory files in the back of my brain, an instant memory rests at first reach in the cabinet, the memory of my most memorable moment during the last golf season; the moment of state. 

I am trying to remember the day as a whole. I remember being so defeated from shooting a ninety-seven on the first day of state yesterday. I remember having little hope with the fact that this is the same eighteen holes I’ve played for the past 2 days…How much different can one more round be? Unfortunately, I was not the only girl who suffered but two of my teammates also shot particularly high yesterday which left us in a critical position today.

The file cabinet in my mind opened up the videotape through the lenses of my eyes, rewatching this very moment. I saw my hand get low to the ground as I used my white Legends tee and teed up the ball for my first hole. My eyes gaze at the ball as I swung my shot down the middle of the fairway, leaving me in a wonderful position for my next shot.

I recall Coach giving me a fist bump as I put my driver away and walking with me to my next shot. “Great first shot, you're in a good spot so just keep at it, remember it’s pound time.” Coach said before having to turn around and make it back to the team box to watch Alexa tee off. Fist bumps had always been his signature move the whole golf season and would continue to fist bump me as I progressed each hole. 

Each hole has the memory of a blur, all of them had a tee box and a hole I wanted to get the ball in. Whether or not I could distinguish each hole looking back on it now, I wouldn’t be able to do so. However, one thing that stuck with me every hole was determination. Determination had been with me in a way it had not been yesterday or for the practice round. Determination led me to a strong finish as I pushed through every hole. I may not remember every specific hole but I had a smile walking off the course with four birders and two almost eagles.  

Memory banks played back my pride as I held the honor of being the single girl with the highest stroke difference and most improvement than any other girl at state. Along with this improvement, I was able to help our team score surpass Oconomwoc’s team and finish above them in 6th place. Realistically speaking, having such a dramatic improvement of over fifteen strokes in a round is not good for a golfer. It’s better to stay constant and have a low handicap.

All in all, I still hold this accomplishment of improving from a ninety-seven to an eighty-three in just two days. Along with playing the mere coincidence of shooting the highest and lowest round of the season on the same course makes this cherishable. This unique playing experience truly was a memorable moment. 

This was my experience last golf season and how I had a dramatic improvement between my two rounds at state.