Becoming a Veterinarian | Teen Ink

Becoming a Veterinarian

Becoming a veterinarian requires years of training, experience, and dedication. There are various routes and pathways accessible to becoming a veterinarian. In this video, we will discuss the different steps and career paths you can take to fulfill your goal of becoming a veterinarian.

Enrolling at a Four-year University is the most common way to start the pathway to becoming a veterinarian. With an 11% acceptance rate, top veterinarian universities like N.C. State, Colorado State University, and Cornell University look for stand-out applicants and resumes. To build a distinctive resume talk with an advisor: “Advisors can help you navigate the journey of becoming a competitive applicant and the application process” (aavmc.org). Four-year colleges, however, require thousands of dollars to enroll. On average State Tuition for veterinary students is around USD 41,000 a year but it can vary depending on the school you are attending: “Most veterinarians obtain loans to attend veterinary school. Whether or not you obtain loans for school (undergraduate or thereafter) is determined by your financial situation. University websites will provide you with information on estimated costs for attending. How long it takes to pay them off depends on your salary and personal living expenses after graduating” (Ford).  If money is an issue it might be better to go down a different pathway and enroll at a community college.

Although most accepted applicants have received a master's or bachelor’s degree. However, veterinary schools will accept transfer credits from community colleges. Community colleges can help prepare student applicants for on-the-job training and situations. Going to a community college should not affect your chances of being an accepted applicant to veterinary schooling. Veterinary schooling takes time and pursuing a career should only be done if you have a passion and love for learning and problem-solving: “I went to the University of Tennessee for Veterinary School after graduating from UNCW. It is a 4-year program. Upon graduation, I was interested in the field of veterinary medicine for laboratory animals (caring for the medical needs of animals that provide us with information on medical treatments)” (Ford). 

After graduating from veterinary schooling, generally, vets spend the next year or two interning at small animal clinics or they may choose to do a residency to gain experience before opening their businesses. Ford proclaims that she “completed a 2-year residency after graduating from veterinary school at Emory University, working as a veterinarian at the Emory National Primate Research Center in Atlanta, Georgia”(Ford). More information on applying for an internship or residency can be found on “Veterinary Internships and Externships” (avma.org).  

Starting a business can be challenging without any prior knowledge: Ford suggests that all “Veterinarians should take a class as part of their required coursework on basic business management. Most people do not go into veterinary medicine understanding private ownership, management of a business, non-compete clauses, communications and negotiations of contracts, and work expectations under private or corporate management”(Ford). Business management is a key component in determining the salary of the veterinarian. Running a clinic allows the vet to make more money as long as they can maintain the business. The average income of a veterinary practice owner in north carolina is around USD 129,000, but the average salary for a working veterinarian under a boss is anywhere between $50,000 - $75,000 according to research done by the U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics (bls.gov).

Overall, it can be said that Joining the field of veterinary medicine can be a challenging but rewarding pathway, but should only be pursued if you have a passion for animals and a love for learning and helping others.

Citations

“Becoming a Veterinarian.” AAVMC,   www.aavmc.org/becoming-a-veterinarian/.

“Veterinarians.” Bls.gov, 31 Mar. 2022, www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes291131.htm.

American Veterinary Medical Association, www.avma.org/education/veterinary-internships-and-externships. 

Veterianrian Laura Ford

I was interested in finding out about the struggles of becoming a veterinarian, so I interviewed a working veterinarian. I wanted to answer the question was it worth all the money and schooling to help others and their pets?