Underage Adults | Teen Ink

Underage Adults

By Brycencos13 BRONZE, Waddell, Arizona
Brycencos13 BRONZE, Waddell, Arizona

It is widely known in America that the age of 18 is considered an adult but it is also considered underaged. Logically, 18 to 20 have all the responsibilities of adults but not all the privileges. The U.S. government considers 18-year-old underage adults ready to serve in the military, but not mature enough to handle alcoholic beverages. America trusts you enough to go to war and to die for their country, but God forbid if you sip alcohol, it could cause the end of the world.

They believe the 18-year-old brain is mature enough to experience all the horrific encounters that come with war, but alcohol could ruin its development. You come home from defending your country with mental trauma and then get arrested for underage drinking. If an 18-year-old can risk his life for his country, why should he think he’s not mature enough to drink in his country?

If they think that someone is mature enough to handle a gun in their hand in an intense war zone, then why are they scared of a beer in that same hand? But yes, it’s all perfectly logical. I understand that there is still a lot of growth that a person can go through between the ages of 18 and 21, but my point is that they should be able to consume alcohol if they are fighting battles and defending their country. The enemies might as well waterboard them with beer instead of water, so they get arrested for underage drinking when they are set free. They should stop shooting altogether and just start dumping beers on us. Half the army would be arrested for minors in possession.

America is a very intelligent country; they believe 18 years of age is too young to be responsible for drinking alcohol but are happy to have them vote for the leader of it. Honestly, it would be smart if we push the drinking age to 60 and maybe then this country could be sober enough to pick a president that can finish a sentence or a president without Twitter thumbs. They believe they are mature enough to convict someone to life in jail, but they aren’t allowed to choose what they consume. If America believes underage adults can fulfill legal obligations like voting and jury duty which is responsible for someone else’s future and the future of everyone in this country. They should be thought of as responsible enough to drink alcohol in their own lives.

In the defense of the US government, they saw an increase in drunk driving when they lowered the age for drinking during the Vietnam war. But thank God, they restored it, if college parties were serving anything other than fruit punch it would be incredibly dangerous. The law isn’t stopping anyone from getting alcohol as it’s so easily accessible. The US shouldn’t spend so much time trying to stop underage drinking and teach them how to be responsible with it.

America believes that we should be able to own guns at 18 but not be able to drink. I’m aware that getting guns and alcohol at the same age could be very dangerous, so I agree with the US for leaving the more deadly of the two for when you’re more mature. Guns have never killed anyone so I’m delighted we pushed the age to consume alcohol to 21 causes once your legs get a little wobbly it can become fatal. Look at the Europeans, they start drinking when they’re able to lift a beer to their lips but it cause’s their schools to be safe. I would hate for that to be the case. America has been smart; we start with deadly weapons and leave drinking for later so our school grounds become firing ranges.

The professional model I used was “Taming a Bicycle” by Mark Twain, and the humorous examples throughout the essay formed new ways I could create humor in my essay. I didn’t want my essay to be a copy of the model, so I chose a completely different theme. The model is a comical story of the author’s difficulty to learn to ride a bike. Because I chose to do a completely different theme it was easy to separate my humor proposal from the models as I just used his examples to spark my own.