8th Grade | Teen Ink

8th Grade

By sophiascapicchio BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
sophiascapicchio BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

I have always feared change. New things. Uncertainty. The idea of deviating from my regular schedule does not sit well with me. Regardless, I am aware that there will inevitably be instances in life that require change. One major change for me was moving from middle to northern New Jersey the summer before eighth grade.

Ever wondered why changing to a new school district is such a popular theme in movies? It’s because it is filled with emotional unpredictability and just… all things new. The drama-filled years of middle and high school are perfect content for teenage films. Take High School Musical for example. Gabriella Montez, the new girl and star of the show, transferred from one high school to another and her journey was packed with ups and downs. I feel as though all new girls have similar experiences when changing schools, minus the singing and dancing factor. There is certainly pressure applied to the new girls to make friends. They are also expected to maintain a social life, keep grades up in school, and get involved in other activities simultaneously. Knowing this, I promised myself to walk into my new school with a smile, positive attitude, and open mind. Though I was nervous, I did not fear walking into my academic classes. The only moment I had been dreading was lunch, where I thought it would be impossible to find a place to sit.

It’s my first day at my new school. Fifth period. I glance around the cafeteria, heart pounding. Where do I sit? My eyes scan the hundreds of rounded seats surrounding twenty different tables. Out of all these seats, I am only destined to sit in one. The seat I choose will determine my future friends at my new school. So where should I sit? My mind is telling me to inch over to the table nearest me. Should I? As I am running through the infinite outcomes of sitting down at the table in my mind, I am interrupted by a blonde head turning to greet me. My savior.

“Hey! Do you want to sit here?” Her warm voice suggested. At this, I was hit with a mixture of shock and relief. Somebody had offered to take me under their wing, to allow me to sit alongside them. I was overwhelmed with emotions of comfort because something about this girl screamed “potential friend” to me.

“Oh! Well… yes! Thank you so much!” I managed. This shouldn’t have been such a big deal to me, but I was beyond grateful to have found somebody.

I introduced myself to the whole table, added some of my own comments into their conversation, and chuckled at times when it seemed necessary. The period flew by and I found myself adjusting -- feeling comfortable, even -- to this new environment. The change I had so feared no longer seemed like such a great obstacle.

On my journey from Morris to Bergen county, I recognized a newfound confidence within me. It was the kind of confidence that drove me to put myself out there and socialize without being concerned about the opinions of others.

In the end, I conquered change and adapted to my new school. I defeated the demons in my mind that whispered to me my potential failures. No longer was I afraid of adjusting my lifestyle. I embraced the benefits of change before and I am prepared to do the same once I reach  a freshly-paved path on a brand new campus.