Dear College MAG

Dear College,

I would very much like to attend your school, despite my non-existent 4.0 GPA and below-average SAT scores. Sorry, but I am not a straight-A student nor a nationally recognized award winner nor a Nobel Peace Prize recipient. In fact, I have very little value to you. I receive B’s most of the time, the occasional A, and once a C+. I ran on my school’s track team for three years and never made it to varsity. I ran on the cross-country team for one year, was in two community plays, and sang my heart out in choir for three years, and never received any special recognition of any kind. I was never a team captain or a club president. I was never the star player or the top student. I was always in the middle. Perhaps that is not such a bad thing, but when you are trying to make yourself stand out to colleges, prove to them why you deserve to attend their school, it’s rather hard when all you have to show are mediocre achievements.

I could explain to you why my grades are so lackluster and my test scores so flawed. I could tell you about how I developed severe anxiety in the ninth grade, breaking down before classes, silently crying alone in the girl’s bathroom. I could tell you about the depression I developed after my best friend told me she was anorexic and how badly she wanted to kill herself. I could tell you all this and much more, but you just wouldn’t listen.

Colleges don’t care about my life story. What you care about are the things that benefit you. Colleges want to be known for students with 4.0 GPAs and perfect SAT scores, not students whose biggest accomplishment is overcoming their suicidal thoughts and depression. However, that student who overcame her suicidal thoughts is much more victorious than the kid with 4.0 GPA. That girl who battled her depression needed more strength than it takes to battle the SATs.

That girl is a warrior, a fighter, a passionate, strong individual. But her strengths may be dismissed in favor of test scores and GPAs. If only colleges cared enough to learn her story. If only you knew that she was too busy fighting off depression to conquer her SATs. If only you knew that she was too busy working through her anxieties to work through her math homework. If only you knew how passionate and strong she was.

So don’t make the same mistake twice. Don’t turn a deaf ear in my direction, because I am not just test scores and grades.

I am so much more than that.

Sincerely,
Me

If only colleges knew.

FariiiiTaff said...
on Jul. 23 at 10:55 pm
FariiiiTaff, Rosedale, New York
I can identify whole heartedly with this, there’s a much more going on in life than just perfect grades and extra curricular activities, when you can’t rven figure out how to function “normally” enough to get through the day

Jdvinsil said...
on Jun. 14 at 9:46 am
Jdvinsil, California, California
Liked iy

RikkiTeen said...
on Jun. 13 at 4:58 pm
RikkiTeen, Silverdale, Washington

Success is not final; failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts. So its important to keep moving forward!

I love this, keep it up. And for the grade thing
SAME!

on May. 27 at 5:22 pm
wordcalamity BRONZE, Potomac, Maryland

"Everything's science fiction until someone makes it science fact." -Warcross, Marie Lu

Beautifully written, and incredibly relarable! Thank you for writing this, and good luck with school and grades ;)

on May. 27 at 5:20 pm
wordcalamity BRONZE, Potomac, Maryland

Haha it reminded me of that too. But let's not make assumptions xD

on Apr. 28 at 9:42 pm
Celia Buell SILVER, Skokie, Illinois
Everything about this is me, thank you so much for publishing

on Mar. 23 at 11:14 am
AsenathRose GOLD, Chesapeake Beach, Maryland

"Let me be that I am and seek not to alter me,"-Shakespeare

dear Evan Hansen reference? Sincerely, me. anybody?

Natowl said...
on Mar. 21 at 1:30 pm
Natowl, Elizabeth, New Jersey
0 articles 1 photo 1 comment
This is amazing. I relate so much to this.

on Feb. 27 at 10:42 pm
ruthvera SILVER, Dublin, California
wow, just wow. speechless.

Catniss SILVER said...
on Feb. 4 at 8:17 am
Catniss SILVER, Jakarta, Other
Thank you for writing this. It will open up the minds of so many people. I am constantly stressed about my grades, but you remind me that I can be worth so much more than that. I wish you success in the future!!

I loved this piece too

I loved this piece

Grasso BRONZE said...
on Nov. 17 2017 at 2:46 am
Grasso BRONZE, New Delhi, Other

Nothing hurts without your consent.

I can relate to this letter on some levels. The student who never topped, but had enough A's to be labeled as good, never a top leader, but lead a small group of friends, never a top artist or a player but I was good nonetheless. The depression was there but I told myself time and time again that its a game that mind likes to play to maintain a dramatic life. But I still chased after depression often. Being happy was easy but I guess we make it difficult on our own. And yeah I want to study in that big fancy college but I too don't have a mark sheet that shines or stands out. I just stand. But you see, maybe we are caught up in the middle and it may seem like an ugly situation but, I'm sure we'll live a great art, the colors may come in slow but they would. :)

on Nov. 10 2017 at 4:21 pm
RainyDayDreams GOLD, Masontown, Pennsylvania

"Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you never know who would love the person you hide." ~ C.S. Lewis

I can relate to this letter in so many ways. Relating to the many difficulties teenagers often face, it leaves the question unanswered. Why would colleges and universities ignore the majority of the population they depend on? Love the letter, though! It emphasizes reality as it simply is.

Eswzem BRONZE said...
on Nov. 7 2017 at 2:16 pm
Eswzem BRONZE, New Castle, Pennsylvania

“For I have a plan for you. A plan to give you peace not for disaster, but a plan to give you hope and a future.” -Our Heavenly Father

I totally agree! This was so well written and so true. I give it a standing ovation. If only colleges could see this letter.

on Nov. 6 2017 at 10:13 am
WolfWhisperer0911 DIAMOND, Crosby, Texas

"For I command you, be brave and steadfast! For the Lord your God will be with you whenever you go."
-Joshua 1:9

"Throw me to the wolves, and I'll return leading the pack."- Unknown

"Never moon a werewolf." -Mike Binder

Amazing letter! I can relate to it some and colleges do need to see this letter. Keep up the good work!

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!