Commuting to College This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

This past Thursday, August 24,2017, I was supposed to be moving into my college dorm in Rhode Island. The car was loaded with bedding, decorations and clothing, ready to depart for my next chapter. However, I couldn’t get in the car and instead decided to commute. If you are anything like me, you may want to consider commuting too. Here are the warning signs:

Warning sign #1: People telling you not to go.
Everyone close to me told me they knew all along I would not end up going to school in Rhode Island. My parents tried to convince me in the beginning to stay local, but I was stubborn about going outside my comfort zone.

Warning sign #2: Not being excited.
I was not in the least bit excited about going to college. Even though I am a social person, the thought of having to meet all new people in a new environment made me queasy. Nothing got me excited to go.

Warning sign #3: Hating orientation.
I hated orientation. While I was at the school for orientation I cried most of the time and disliked it. I met people and tried to enjoy my time, but for some reason I could not do it.

Warning sign #4 (the most important one): Feeling sick over school.
I was physically sick over leaving for school. I started crying two days before I was supposed to be leaving and did not stop until the morning my parents told me I did not have to go. I could not eat or sleep because of it.

Don’t get me wrong I liked the school in Rhode Island, but it was not for me. I was forcing myself to love it and told myself I had to go because I thought that is just what college kids do.  However, that is not the case. Even though I am not living on campus, I am still a college student. 
Now, two days later I am a full time commuter at Quinnipiac University. There I am studying Journalism and am currently taking 19 credits this semester. I could not be happier with my decision.
If you think you may want to commute do not be alarmed and realize you are not alone. I made my decision the day I was supposed to be leaving! I promise you everything will work out. The most important thing is being happy.