The Truth About Rejection Letters and How to Deal with Them | Teen Ink

The Truth About Rejection Letters and How to Deal with Them

January 3, 2017
By Mommina SILVER, San Antonio , Texas
Mommina SILVER, San Antonio , Texas
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Laying face down on the bedroom floor, you probably felt like this it it. This was the moment your whole life would crash and burn. All the years in English would have been a waste because of this exact moment. Nothing good would ever come again. Ahh writer’s block. The prompt was like a field of daisies and you were just standing there, unable to move, unable to run through, unable to free your mind and thoughts. You could just imagine your editor’s face, Patiently waiting for the email that would reveal your prolonged words. But there was nothing written down. Not even a byline. Am I right?


It was probably a very long moment of weakness- By long I mean by the time You were done it was 7 am-  but eventually you told yourself to get together, put in your headphones, played Mozart, and just wrote and wrote and wrote. The writers block was only temporary because now all of a sudden You felt inspired. Was it Mozart or was it the fact that it was 2 in the morning and You were beyond sleep deprived and just needed something written? Words just poured on the paper like never before, wanting an escape from the monster that was the pen. You felt amazing.


Now you had met the deadline and you couldn't wait for your editor to read your story. You had a feeling she/he would love it. You even went out to celebrate with a few friends. Brunch at the Pearl, and lunch at the Cheesecake Factory. You relaxed, knowing you were stress free. And then as if you were dying to bring stress upon myself, You checked those unopened emails. And there it was. Your eyes couldn't believe what they were seeing. Your insides felt so heavy. Your first rejection letter.


I know writers are suppose to be used to this because apparently it will happen a lot, but You just felt so empty, like your words weren't good enough. This, truth be told, hurt. You then looked up so many self help articles on dealing with rejection letters thinking Maybe someone else's words could make you feel better.


If this was my reaction of my first rejection letter, I'm in for a long ride, you thought. But It didn't have to be. This could be a lesson. Maybe next time You shouldn't procrastinate or only send in your absolute best work even if someone else doesn't think so. Your writing is bound to reach somebody. If somebody else can be positively affected by your writing, then that's all that matters. After all why do we write? To educate, inform, and entertain. So yes, You did take the rejection letter to heart, but no, You did not and will not  let it stop me from doing what You love.