Pursue Your Passions This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Someone once told me, “You're wasting your time on a career that will only lead to starvation.”

Ouch, right? But before I go on, let me give you some background on the career in question.

I want to be a journalist for a newspaper or magazine. After years of exploring my interests, this is what I have decided on. But I'm still affected by what others say, which led me to consider the other side of the argument.

As technology continues to advance with unbelievable speed, print publications are steadily being replaced by websites that update their content practically every time you refresh the browser. Even on my own campus, few seem to care about newspapers anymore; sections of the school paper lie in puddles, and muddy shoe prints soil the pages that took the editors weeks to complete.

More disturbingly, the country is in the midst of an economic downturn, which is leaving people in a perpetual state of uncertainty. And by the time my generation graduates from college, we will be part of a workforce that is highly competitive and incredibly unstable.

But I stand firm in my decision to be a writer. Why? For the idealistic, simple, yet powerful reason that it makes me happy in a way that no amount of money ever could.

Rarely have I found others who think this way, and it always disheartens me to hear students trying to map out their lives based on factors other than pursuing their passions.

Factor number one: parents.

Parents definitely have a right to be involved in their children's lives, but sometimes their words create more stress than encouragement. Instead of trying to make their children happy, as they may have intended, parents can end up squeezing their children's hopes and desires until nothing remains but the hard, coarse seeds of a cruel reality. True, being realistic is important, but everyone needs the chance to dream in order to find happiness, and parents should understand this.

Factor number two: money.

A conversation I had with my college friend one afternoon illustrates this point.

“What happened?” I asked after hearing he had switched majors. “I thought you wanted to be a photographer.”

“I do,” he said. “But there's no money in it. Don't worry,” he added, probably sensing my concern. “I'm happy where I am.”

I really wanted to believe that, but as we continued talking, he constantly interrupted me to point out the beauty of this view and that view, saying he wished he had his camera with him. I didn't know what to think anymore.

Naturally, there's no way to predict where our paths will lead us. In fact, our ideas and plans could very well change down the road. However, at this stage in our lives when so many voices are telling us who we should be, we need to nurture our individual dreams, not stifle them, because they may be the only things left that define us.

Of course, listen to your parents and consider the financial implications of your choices. But keep in mind, too, that you, and no one else, will ultimately have to live with the results of your decisions.

And who knows – maybe that person is right, and I will starve because of my choice to major in journalism. But after witnessing the unhappiness of those who didn't pursue their passion, I am convinced that the worst suffering of all is to not allow yourself to do what you truly love.

rduanehuff said...
Apr. 12 at 9:45 am:
From experience, I promise you that if you pursue your passions, you won't go broke in this day and age -  IF you're willing to let go of how you see the end result turning out, and just remain open to the opportunities that present themselves to you as you pursue your passions. Fully embrace social media and all that it can do to perpetuate your passion, sharpen your people skills, and learn to promote your ideas and passions to others. Our opportunities come through the people we ... (more »)

rduanehuff said...
Apr. 12 at 9:32 am:
Abbie, This is a great article, and I wanted to jump in here and support your ideas, thoughts, and dreams. When I was 15 years old, I had a defining moment that let me know, in no uncertain terms, what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. I, like so many people listeded to the misguided advice of family, friends, professors, teachers, mentors, etc, and ended up putting that dream and my greatest passion on hold until I was 32 years old. Once I finally decided to pursue my passions, I... (more »)

Allysa M. said...
Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:49 am:
Parents themselves who never uncovered their passion or who did not pursue it because they didn't think they could make a living pursuing their passion or purpose. And what are their Problems or Challenges?

JONESJane said...
If you are willing to buy real estate, you will have to receive the loan. Moreover, my brother commonly uses a sba loan, which seems to be really firm.

MeganeOtoko said...
Apr. 24, 2012 at 3:55 am:

After just having one of "those" conversations last night from people thinking I was crazy and that needed to "not think so much", this article was just what I needed.

It's awfully frustrating when you seem to be the only one in your circle of friends or family that thinks that pursuing something that you love and believe you can make a timeless contribution in is the intelligent choice. 

Although I can understand why people adopt a "security" way of thinking, it pains me a... (more »)

Akane-Ree said...

Meheheheheh. Moi: I want to be a fictional writer, and I actually have a book thats about twenty-six thousand words so far; me and my friend are on chapter nine tomorrow. 

And yes, I would love to go to college to write fiction. But the idea itself is fictitious. -___- because if I don't get published, then...

So, instead, off to be a neuroscientist. I may not be as happy there, but...

ThatGirlOverthere said...
Oct. 1, 2011 at 11:27 am:

Hello there! I'm new in here and I've written nothing so far... but I joined in because, among other things, I wanted to discuss my interest on Journalism (same as you!). So what you said really spooke to me. I'm also told that my carrer option is no good. 

Back here in Portugal (yes, I'm Portuguese!) there's also this mentality that anyone that is not studying on Sciences, Maths or Technology will end up begin  on the streets. Sad thing!

&nbs... (more »)

ksaurus200 replied...
Nov. 14, 2011 at 6:04 pm :

you made a few mistakes but you were clear in your meaning, dont worry english is my first laguge and i think you spell better than i do!

ps for most people spell check is thier best friend!

TheInnocentOne said...

Nicely done.

But we all know that some jobs that existed 20 or 30 years ago don't exist now and the people working in those fields aren't getting any work. Or pay to feed themselves.

Of course we should all have a chance to pursue our passions, but we should keep in mind that someday we're going to want maybe settle down and have some kids. You may be fine with starving yourself, but why the kids?

There's another option you could choose. We can tell you love writing and t... (more »)

ohheyyyelli said...
My mom told me last night I probably won't get into my top-choice college. Thanks mum! In a way, it makes you work harder though, right?

riley1516 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 27, 2011 at 2:18 pm:
I can relate to your article. (well written by the way).  I want to pursue film as my career and my family is trying to crush this dream for me. Its just so hard to keep fighting for what I want when my own family offers little support.  I would rather be in a career doing what I love than making alot of money pursuing a career that makes me unhappy

Ines R. said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 3:46 pm:
This is really good. Inspiration to those who had a passion for something but because that career don’t leave money they switched for something else but end up hating that. I see so many people like that but I personally think that you should study what you want, whatever your dream or passion is because at the end of the day you should made yourself happy and not your father they already live their life. It is time for you to start living yours. I love writing and wish I can become a grea... (more »)

Fayrouz This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 9, 2011 at 2:49 pm:
I admire how you want to be a writer, despite how negative the situation seems to be but I think your parents make a good point. You can be a writer, but have you considered having something else to do with that? For example, pyschology and writing? Education and writing? Tourism and writing? Getting a minor is something science related may boost your career later on...and you'll still be writing.

midniteprowlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 5, 2011 at 6:11 pm:
yes. totally agree on the parents and money issue. good story/writing

LifeWriteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 5, 2011 at 3:56 pm:
Wow! I completely agree with your article--it is so true! I live in a town where education and money are the top priorities with almost every family, and many kids find the pressure to be too much; they can't live because their parents plan out their lives for them! Great article--keep following your passion! :)

ilovewriting95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 22, 2011 at 12:11 pm:
Wow! I love this article and you did a great job of showing the importance of followiong your passion. You have a good point and I 100% agree with you. I want to be a writer for a career too but, I want to write novels not for newspapers. My parents say exaxtly what your article says, that I have to get another job and write on the side. I can tell just by this one article that you are a really great writer and I think you will be a great journalist. Good luck! I hope your dream comes true. :)

WindDancer said...

This is so great and very true! I have lots of interests and passions and am for sure going to pursue them in college, even if I don't know what I'm going to "do" yet with my life or how much money I'll make.

Thanks and PLEASE keep writing and believing in yourself and the power of true passion. Good luck, I really think you can make it if you give it your all.

Fran94 said...
Feb. 23, 2011 at 4:21 pm:
This article is truly inspirational and motivational! I have always tried to pursue what I'm passionate about and love. However, sometimes there are people in my life who try to stop me and make me think realistically. Therefore, its is true that I have seldomly gave in to what they say, but I always come back to pursuing my passions. My dad has always inspired me to pursue my passions. So, it is truly warming to the heart to find an article like this that also encourages people to follow their ... (more »)

kimmie love:) said...
i love this article!!! :)<33:D

tahir said...
wel i agree with you but with pursing your passion you can along the way take a major that you can back paddle on if you journalism doesn't work. i am going to write a article about this in the next two week's.