Social Media | Teen Ink

Social Media

July 13, 2016
By SomaSilver BRONZE, Home Sweet Home, Other
SomaSilver BRONZE, Home Sweet Home, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In today's world, online social media has become more powerful and as well as the most destructive thing over worldwide. Although with time all generations have come to embrace the changes social network has brought about, teenagers and young adults are the most fanatic users of these sites. According to various research studies in the field of online social networks, it has been revealed that these sites are impacting the lives of the youth greatly. When using these sites such as Twitter, Facebook or Myspace, there are both positive and negative effects on the youth.


Firstly, social media helps the youth and any other user updated with what is happening around the world, help the teenagers stay connected and interact with each other even if they are many miles apart. This strengthens their relationship even if they finished school and moved to different locations they stay connected and update one another.


In addition, social media sites have provided a platform whereby the youth can create groups and pages based on their common discipline and end up building connections and opportunities for their respective careers by updating various topics to discuss. Youth who have been interviewed they say that social media has become their lifestyle and it makes their lives easier and efficient.

 

While on one hand social network sites seem to bring people together and stay connected on the other hand it causes much physical and mental health problems such as eyes infection, back problems etc. .Other negative effects of social networking various people suggested included encouraging poor spelling and grammar, exposing underage to online predators, allowing spread of misinformation that is seen as fact, decreasing productivity as those who are supposed to be working spend time in the sites to chat, provide a perfect platform for cyberbullying and providing details that increase risks of identity theft.`


"The more social media we have, the more we think we're connecting, yet we are really disconnecting from each other."


In conclusion, Social networking clearly portrays both positive and negative effects on the youth. It is the decision of individuals whether to use it in a right way or wrong.
 


The author's comments:

I have written this article for those people who use social media in a wrong way.