College Athletes Should Be Paid | Teen Ink

College Athletes Should Be Paid

Imagine that you're a college athlete that 6 hours a day into the sport you play. Then you have no money to go eat  because you spend more than 40 hours a week on your sport and have nowhere to get money. Which isn’t fair because you work more than what is required for a full-time job on your sport, but get paid nothing from it.

College athletes should be paid because: They bring in the money for the schools; There isn’t a shortage of money at schools and it will help them for the future.

One reason college athletes should be paid is they bring in the money for their school. A way they bring in money is when sports fans buy a jersey with their name on the back. Another way they bring in money is when fans come to pay for tickets to see their games. The athletes get the people in the stands by playing good or by telling their friends to come watch them. College athletes also bring in money to pay for college if they didn’t get a scholarship. Most of the college athletes don’t get scholarships, so they are paying to be at the college and to be on the team.
Another reason college athletes should be paid is there isn’t a shortage of money at the schools, so they have enough to pay them. College coaches can be paid up to 7.3 million dollars a year, without the players getting paid. Also the NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) is an 11 billion dollar industry, so they could give each school approximately 2,450,000 dollars to pay their athletes and coaches. Another way is most athletes don’t get scholarships, so they are paying thousands of dollars a year to go to the college and be on the team.

The most important reason athletes should be paid is it will help them for the future. One way it will help them for the future is it can help the players learn to be able to manage money and save for things they need. Another way it will help them in the future is it will help them have some money to get a house and car after college. It will also help them in the future for when they need to pay off student loans from college.

In conclusion college athletes should be paid because: They bring in money; There isn’t a shortage of money; It will help them for the future and because they work hard for the sport and get nothing in return.

My piece is about why college athletes should be paid.