Power of Earbuds | Teen Ink

Power of Earbuds

By Aciseros1205 BRONZE, BRIGHTON, Colorado
Aciseros1205 BRONZE, BRIGHTON, Colorado

I believe in the power of earbuds. When I was younger I didn't really care about music, at that time my opinion on music was that it wasn't really important in life. I just couldn't understand how being a singer or instrument player can make a good/fun job/career. I just used my earbuds when it got to so quiet I could hear a fly sneezing or when it got to loud i couldn't even hear to my own thoughts but I never payed attention to how i reacted to some of music that I listened to. Gradually i became used to having music on while doing homework because I concentrated better with it and some music even helped me relax, but even then I could not grasp the effects that music created. As a grew older I was more observant and I was curious about how everything worked, that is when I noticed that some type of music made me want to jump up and run around like a headless chicken while other songs made me sad or brought up sad memories. This little discovery made me notice that other people also have different reactions to different type of music, for example in a scary movie creepy music is played before something bad happens to build up anticipation or just to make the mood creepy/scary, without the music the movie wouldn't be as scary. In a action movie epic music is played when something amazing happens, if the same scene is shown without the music it would probably be less epic or just awkward. This pattern continued for sad songs as well and for the first time I realized how much music really affects our thoughts and sometimes our actions.Sometimes the lyrics to a song reflect my feelings and or thoughts at that time.

I like to listen to new songs because in some cases the song lyrics make me reflect about whatever it is the song was about. One day I remember that I was in class and I had my earbuds in while I was cutting some paper for a project. I was in a happy mood because I had little homework and it was my last class of the day but something catastrophic occurred, my earbuds somehow got behind the paper and I didn't notice and I cut the paper in half along with my headphone's cord. I didn't know what to be sad about either because my earbuds were broken or because I was stupid enough to cut it in the first place. The rest of the class was boring because I didn't have music to listen to and yet again another moment where I realized the importance of music in my everyday life. These days I listen to music every single day and I'll probably have a hard time concentrating if I'm without music for a long period of time. I believe in the power of earbuds because they are a way to listen to personal music without bothering other people.