7 Things Out-of-State College Freshmen Need To Know | Teen Ink

7 Things Out-of-State College Freshmen Need To Know

By bcubit BRONZE, Moreno Valley, California
bcubit BRONZE, Moreno Valley, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

“My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.” - Maya Angelou

College is already a scary subject to think about. It can be especially nerve-wracking if you’re going to school out of state. Trust me, I know. I just completed my first year of college in a state that’s nearly 2,000 miles away from my home. It’ll take some time to get used to things, but don’t worry, because I’ve formulated a list of seven things you’ll need to know before making one of the biggest moves of your life.

1. There will be times when you stick out like a sore thumb.
This is especially true if you decide to go to a school that’s practically across the country from your hometown. That’s what I did. I’m a West-coast girl (holla!) who goes to school in the Midwest and just in case you don’t understand the full gravity of that, just know that it’s a drastic change. From the clothes that I wore to the words that I used, there was always something about me that screamed, “I’m definitely not from here.” For the first few months, I was scared to say just about anything because I was afraid that the people I met wouldn’t understand my lingo. I was scared to ask what certain phrases meant and what a certain food was. It was awkward.
The thing that really made me stick out was when the weather started changing. The first time it was 50 something degrees, I was in about three layers of jackets. Meanwhile, I saw other people in shorts and thin t-shirts. I was like, “Um…what?” I even wore a pair of snow boots (which I had to buy before moving because I definitely didn’t own a pair before) when it wasn’t even snowing just because they were so warm. Needless to say, I got laughed at. Friends thought I was crazy, strangers gave me weird stares, and even the squirrels that ran around looked at me sideways. To be perfectly honest, it was embarrassing. (Quick word of advice: find other out-of-state students so that you can find someone to be embarrassed with) I have good news, though! There will come a point when you just don’t care. You’re different. Embrace it.

2. You’ll discover new places and new things and some of it will be kind of strange.
Wherever you decide to go, make sure you find out where the nearest Walmart, Sam’s Club, and/or Target is because you’re favorite local grocery store at home may not be in the city of your school. I’ve discovered some of the most random stores that aren’t even existent in my home state. That’s why stores like Walmart and Target are my heroes.
You may also discover certain foods that are a big deal where you’ll be. My discovery was fried ravioli. I never knew people fried ravioli, but it’s actually a thing and it’s something that the people I go to school with take very seriously. DON’T MESS WITH THEIR FRIED RAVIOLI, YO. Anyway, certain things that they value will be new and maybe even mind-boggling to you, but just remember that every place has their special thing and since you’re on their turf, it’s technically not weird (to them).

3. Random things will intrigue you. That’s okay.
I lost count of how many things that were in my surroundings that I found interesting. I went crazy when I saw a Red Robin since we don’t really get them in my hometown. As a matter of fact, I saw quite a few wild animals that are a rarity where I’m from and, yes, I had to get a picture every time. My friends definitely got annoyed sometimes when I stopped to take a picture of a random bird or animal, but it had to done. Another thing is that in my hometown, we don’t get seasonal changes. It’s pretty much the same temperature all year. I mean, in December and January (maybe February), it gets a little bit colder and rains a little, but it’s not that big of a change. When I went away to school and it was changing from summer to fall, I went ballistic. My Snapchat story consisted solely of trees full of beautiful orangey leaves. I walked to my classes in awe and marvel and I could not stop talking about it. I know…I sound like a total dork, but oh well. There’s bound to be something that you’re going to go berserk over when you’re in a different state that’s not a big deal to the natives. Don’t be ashamed of it. It’s all good.

4. People may think you actually have an accent.
The first day I was arrived in the town my school is in, my parents and I went out to eat. While we were ordering, the waiter said, “Y’all ain’t from around here, are ya? You know how I know? You pronounce every letter and every syllable of every word.” He then proceeded to explain how we also pronounce the “g’s” in things. For example, instead of saying, “eatin’” we say “eating.” Personally, I believe that the “g” is there for a reason, but that could just be a west coast thing. I don’t know. I guess I should be gettin’ used to it, though. So, depending on where you’re from and where you go, odds are, someone at some point will comment on the way you speak. My advice is to say “thank you” and keep your head held high because that twang is a part of who you are.

5. People will ask you dumb questions.
This one will get irksome, no doubt. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to answer questions like, “Do you go to the beach every day?” “Can you surf?” “It never rains where you’re from, right?” “Do girls really walk around in bikinis?” These were serious questions, too. They weren’t joking. In my head, I’m like, “Are you guys serious, right now?” But, I’ve realized that people really are genuinely curious about other states and their cultures. Take it in stride. If you really want to have fun with in, then play into the stereotypes a little. Sometimes, I answer questions in a valley girl voice. “O-M-G. I TOTALLY, like, surf, like, all, like, the time!” So, if you’re from Texas and someone asks something like, “So, do you guys really have cowboys?” you can say “You bet your hot barbeque we do! Yeehaw!” (Hopefully they’ll pick up on the sarcasm.) Don’t be a total jerk about it, though. Laugh it off and let them know that not every stereotype is completely true or accurate. Calmly answer any ridiculous questions they have and keep it moving.

6. There will be waterworks. Keep tissues very handy.
Okay, this one is something you need to come to terms with. Unless you’re slap happy to get the heck out of your house and move away, it’s going to eventually hit you that you’re hundreds (maybe thousands) of miles away from home. I remember it was about two months after school started and I had walked back to my dorm where I threw my backpack on the ground, plopped on my bed, and started scrolling through Instagram, just like any other day. Suddenly, I just turned my phone off, set it beside me and broke down crying. It seemed like it came out of nowhere and it felt like my body had no power over what it did. It was like all of these feelings that I didn’t even know had built up inside of me were spilling out, hysterically and uncontrollably. I was crying without really knowing why until I realized that I was 1,710 miles away from my family, my bed, my friends, my…everything. It was the biggest dose of reality that’s truly hit me like that in my entire life. Unlike other students, I didn’t have the option of driving a couple of hours or up the street to visit my parents and home. All I could do was talk to my parents on the phone and text my sisters or Skype them once in a while. That’s all. Even if you think you want to move out and you’re ready, you’re probably going to experience this at least once while you’re away. Don’t think you’re weak or a baby. You’re human. Home is home for a reason. It’s our safe place and a place we’ve known all our lives. So, if we’ve been gone from it for too long, it can be sad. It’s normal to feel that way. Just get your cry on, but stay strong and remember that you’re there for a reason. So, once you’re finished wiping your tears, stand up, hold your head up, and work towards that degree because that’s what you’re there for.

7. By the end of the year, you’ll be changed in some way, shape, or form.
This is actually one of the best things about going to school out of state. You arrive at school as the person who were at home. Your habits, language, and demeanor reflect where you came from. However, by the end of the school year, those will be somehow altered. Believe it or not, I say some words with an “accent” now and it’s actually kind of weird being home for summer vacation because I have to get re-accustomed to the people and community here. The biggest change is that I find myself rooting for the sports teams from the state my college is in. Sometimes I feel like a traitor, but when it’s all I’ve been around for ten months, of course it’s going to have some sort of impact on me. In songs or in the news, when I hear about popular cities from my college’s state, I’m like “Yeah! Represent!” I actually take pride in that state, now, as well as pride in my home state. You become a part of two different cultures and you can merge them together. It makes every headache that may come from going to college out of state completely worth it. It’s a blessing and it’s something that makes you feel even more extraordinary than you already are. That’s the biggest message that I want you to take from this. Yes, it is going to be bizarre when you first move away and move far from home, but you can do it because you’re independent and you’re unique and you’re strong. You are special. 

Now, go enjoy your freshman year of college and make every moment count.

bcubit BRONZE said...
on Aug. 24 2015 at 12:47 am
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Thank you so much! I'm really glad you enjoyed it. It was definitely a different experience for me, but I'm glad that I had it and I was able to share it with others ^_^

on Aug. 16 2015 at 9:25 am
gladinorsk SILVER, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

"I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing." Psalm 16:2

(I'm not clumsy. I just do random gravity checks...Yep, still works!)

I liked this article a lot. You had a lot of good advice, and you peppered it with humor in a charming way. My favorite part was, "even the squirrels that ran around looked at me sideways." Differences in cultures fascinate me, and I enjoyed the fun, uplifting way you shared your experience. You never sounded stuck-up or arrogant. You found a balance between telling your own experience and applying what you learned to give tips and encouragement. Great job!