Keeping Writer's Block at Bay: A Guide | Teen Ink

Keeping Writer's Block at Bay: A Guide

By TaraRamanathan BRONZE, Hoffman Estates, Illinois
TaraRamanathan BRONZE, Hoffman Estates, Illinois

As I sit here in this empty room, armed with a cup of hot tea steaming in front of me, and the entire internet at my fingertips...my mind is blank. There is a solid wall between the words on this page and the words I think about writing late at night, as I’m about to fall asleep.

The problem I’m encountering is something every writer has struggled with since the introduction of written language. Writer’s block. A villain from our darkest nightmares, and a paralyzing force that strikes fear into the heart of an average student.  It may not have a cure, but there are methods to overcome this obstacle that plagues high school students as they approach a landmark of their education--the college essay. Every year, a new hailstorm of topics is released to the general public, leading to panic, uncertainty and, ultimately, death.
Just kidding.

Really though, there are a great deal of effective methods to deal with the monster of an empty mind. If you have a “Blank Space” where your ideas usually reside, listen closely to the following words of advice, brought to you by this particular panic-stricken incoming senior.

My first tip should be obvious, but even I have trouble following my own advice. Practice. It’s such an easy concept to understand, but so incredibly difficult to apply. Instead of waiting till the last minute to scrawl out some last-minute essay ideas, start at the beginning of the summer. “Summer brain”, aptly named by a particularly well-spoken English teacher, is the gooey mess the brain becomes as the student wades deeper into the sleepy summer months. Trust me, I’m a scientist.

Instead of wasting the entire summer hanging out on Club Penguin, try typing out some ideas. Practice writing good essays, without caring about which topic you research. Even better, keep a daily journal or diary. Write down your thoughts and observations; the very essence of a skilled writer lies in how he/she captures casual observations in his/her writing, incorporating them so that they flow naturally and don’t obstruct the writing’s message or significance.

My second tip deals with something many of us forget about on a regular basis.  Have faith in yourself. So many students run away from the intimidating idea of writing essays that they ultimately impose limits on themselves, and consequently write sub-par essays. Believe in your own inner muse. It doesn’t matter if you didn’t perform amazingly in a classroom setting, or got a B on that one particularly difficult essay your freshman year. As long as you write genuinely, your essay  will be received positively. Plus, if you write clumsily, you can always rewrite certain statements and still keep the heart of the essay intact. Reread your essay multiple times, independently, and don’t be harsh on yourself--everyone is going through this, and you are most certainly not overcoming this hurdle alone.

My third and final tip is more in more in relation to practical obstacles as opposed to mental obstacles: Choose a writing environment where your ideas will flow in a more relaxed manner. For example, would you be able to think clearly surrounded by a pack of rabid dogs? That would stress me out, too. The color purple, on the other hand, is actually shown to affect imagination in positive ways. However, please do not paint your house purple. Find an environment that fits your needs. Often, the brain is not able to think clearly if you’ve been in the same room, staring at a blank computer screen for weeks and weeks of agony. A change in setting can create a certain inspirational area in your head, where ideas can flow without as much inhibition.

You have nothing to fear, brave warrior. Consider looking over these tips again if necessary. Even if you decide to disregard every piece of advice here, I’m confident that all of you incoming seniors will write essays that will reduce your initial inhibitions into a fine sand between your fingers.

I was trying to write an essay about a problem I'd like to solve, and this came out instead. Good luck!