Graduate Recommends Choosing College For the Right Reasons | Teen Ink

Graduate Recommends Choosing College For the Right Reasons

December 22, 2014
By saraheyerdahl SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
saraheyerdahl SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Former high school, Haley, graduated from the class of 2014. She is now attending Carroll University in Waukesha, Wisconsin, where she is studying to become a certified nurse.

 

Haley says, “Personally, don’t choose a college that your best friend is going to just because you are ‘best friends.’ I mean it will be fun after a while, but when I got really into my studies my best friend didn’t like it. Also when I tried to make new friends she would pick a fight with me because she thought I was leaving her.”


Haley says she thinks students should  attend a college they want to go to and choose a college that what best suits his or her interests.


She said, “It will take a toll on your relationship, even break it, like it did with mine so be careful about that.”
“Going from high school to college is a really big step that most seniors don’t understand. Senior year for me was me just thinking about getting out of there. I was sick of being at home and taking classes I didn’t want to take so college seemed wonderful. After the first week of having classes at Carroll I realized you really need to be able to focus for long periods of time. Reading is also something that is really important, I mean extremely important so survive college,” she says.


Haley said she recommends reading college level books over summer or during senior year to get use to the material you would be expected to do what going to college. Haley says tabstart.com can really help you develop the college reading skills fast.


“Other than all the negatives, being in college is really fun. I love meeting new people who have the same interests as me, being on my own and learning how to be independent instead of relying on my mom,” she says.