Blinded from the Sunset

Vision is a gift, which is why I like to take pictures. Capturing the light perfectly, the unusual positions of nature, catching animal smiles, and people’s laughter are all things that need to be shared. Which got me thinking, what if I lost my sight? Blinded in a world of dark and mystery. That is the scariest thing, not monsters or ghosts, but darkness. What if there was a surgery that could let me see for one day only, would I
take it?

If I was blind, it would be very tempting to not get the surgery. There would be so many things that I would want to experience, to see. A sunset for example, the perfect pallet of orange, yellow, red, and purple blended together as the opening act for the moon. Figuring out what my friends look like, or what I look like! Discovering why people use green as envy, or painting with pretty pink for the first time.

After the 24 hours are up, what now? Would I be forced back into the darkness? The sinking feeling when I realize that my vision is fading, and my surroundings closing in. After seeing all the opportunities, the door closes and I’m alone again, with only memories. I would feel more of an outsider than ever. Stranded with only the desire to go back to the land of texture, colors, and light.

I would get the surgery, so I wouldn’t regret it the rest of my life, but if you were blind but could get surgery to see for one day...would you?

Edison99This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 3, 2013 at 4:42 pm:
wow this made me think for a while. i think i would take the surgery because you're right. i would want to see the sunset and the world and people. i would hate living in the dark merely wondering what the world looked like. very descriptive writing you have there, Ali

NIKKI21Blankenship said...
Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:36 am:
It is understandable that money makes people independent. But what to do if one doesn't have cash? The one way is to try to get the personal loans and secured loan.

WriterHeadThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:03 pm:
i couldn't imagine being blind, i would lose my mind. i luv this!!!!:D

Ali R. replied...
Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:52 pm :
Thanks!  I really appreciate it!!!