College Application Tips | Teen Ink

College Application Tips

By abbeybuss GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
abbeybuss GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Senior year brings with it college applications—and application deadlines are quickly approaching. So, what do you need to know about a college application?

High School guidance counselor, Angie Rodenkirch, says, “The sooner you get them done, the better. I tell my students to set a goal to have them all finished by Thanksgiving.”

There are advantages of applying early as well: less stress, less competition, and less time to wait before you get a decision.

The average application fee ranges from $30 - $50. Sometimes, however, they can be more or less. Private college applications tend to be more expensive than public ones.

English teacher, Terri Carnell, says the Arrowhead’s English teachers are extremely helpful when it comes to college essays. She says they can edit and revise your essay—and give you helpful tips and advice.

Some college applications require letters of recommendation. When it comes to letters of recommendation, choose teachers that know you well. If you already know what you want to major in and are applying to colleges with that major, ask the teachers who are writing your letters to include specific things regarding that major.

Rodenkirch has some other tips for graduating seniors: 1) sign up for Parchment where you can purchase and send transcripts to colleges, 2) meet with your counselor before applying, so you can make sure you have everything you need to apply and 3) start early with your applications so you aren’t rushed and can look everything over before sending it in.