University of Michigan | Teen Ink

University of Michigan MAG

By Jessica Bukiet BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
Jessica Bukiet BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

Ann Arbor, MI: Although I’m only a sophomore in high school, I have an older sister who attends the University of Michigan. Even though there is still a lot about high school I have yet to experience, I know college is just around the corner. Whether or not you’re already in love with a particular school, becoming familiar with college campuses can help get you on the right track for the future.

I’ve tagged along visiting a number of colleges with my sister, but after seeing the University of Michigan, I knew it was the one for me. It’s located in the middle of a lively city, yet it retains a campus-like feel. Also, growing up in New Jersey, I’m accustomed to the ­constant climate changes of the four ­seasons, so Michigan would be an easy adjustment.

At the University of Michigan the school spirit is contagious. Sports fan or not, it seems like every student attends football games. When entering U of M’s football stadium, there is a pure blur of maize and blue. During each game, the entire student body becomes one.

Approximately 15,000 students are accepted for the undergraduate program from over 30,000 applicants each year. The university looks for students with a GPA of 3.8 or above, scoring between 1960 and 2200 on the SAT.

The idea of a diverse school excites me. Students from all 50 states and 114 countries attend the University of Michigan. Undergraduates make up 66 percent of the student body. It bewilders me how so many diverse groups of people can share a love for this university. But it was clear to me when I visited that everyone who goes here loves it.

The school is beautiful but not too modern. The campus is filled with ivy-covered gothic buildings, and the town is packed with restaurants and activities.

Michigan not only has the fun aspect of college, but the academics are outstanding too. The intelligent, dedicated professors are here to share their knowledge with the students. I get the feeling that the students understand how to balance fun and schoolwork.

After visiting such an incredible school, I have a better idea where I want to go after high school. Michigan is my top choice. I understand that it is a competitive school, and I am now more aware of the academic standards I must achieve to fulfill my goal of one day becoming a Michigan Wolverine.

For more information, check out www.umich.edu.

IsabelPECK35 said...
on Jul. 2 2013 at 4:02 am
I had got a dream to make my own commerce, but I did not have enough of cash to do that. Thank God my fellow recommended to take the home loans. Thus I used the sba loan and realized my desire.

jsumpter said...
YAY! Go Blue! My time at Michigan has been one of the best; hope you get in and experience some awesome times!