Help!! | Teen Ink

Help!! MAG

Which college should you attend? Are your SAT scores good enough to get you into the college of your choice? What do you want to do with the rest of your life? These questions are now facing a multitude of high school seniors.

For those who have absolutely no idea of the answers, stress and panic begin to set in. Getting into the right college can determine the rest of your life. Or at least that's what our parents keep telling us. Can it really, though? Sure, when you first get out of college and you're looking for a job, people are going to want to know where you went to school. Other than that though, who is going to want to know where you went to school?

As for jobs, how does a seventeen-year-old know what s/he wants to do with the rest of his/her life? Careers aren't built in a day. This decision takes time and concentration. This is time most don't have. There are so many other pressures already facing them.

One of the biggest pressures is the SATs. Entire futures can be decided by them. If you don't do well, you might not be able to go to the college you already have your heart set on. What then? If you do poorly the first time, you can always take the test again, but what if you don't improve? This is the idea that SAT preparation courses are based on.

Fear and stress are the two things invading the lives of high school students everywhere. What do you do, where do you do it, and can you do it, not to mention can you afford it? The increased cost of education is crushing many a college dream. Don't worry though, it's only the rest of your life. n

KimmyReads said...
Calm down. There are plenty of colleges suitable for everyone's needs, and no one is telling you to decide your future career as a teenager. Also, SATs do not determine the path your life takes. Yes, they can hinder you from going to your reach college, but there are actually plenty of colleges that are SAT optional. Also, there are the ACTs if the SAT is impossible for you.