Life's Alternative Route | Teen Ink

Life's Alternative Route MAG

Life's Alternative Route

by D. T., Palmer, MA

Senior year in high school is a time of change; a time when the life we have always known will come to an end. Our friends, each seeking a different path, will scatter, never to return. High school years, which are filled with organized sports, parties and classroom activities, will be behind us. The question then arises, "What next?"

For those who have made studies a major part of their student life, furthering their education is a good choice when taking the next step. College, which in theory prepares a person for a successful career, opens its doors to about one half of all high school seniors.

However, other students who don't seem to have an interest in structured education, barely squeaking through each high school year, must find an alternative plan. What other options are available? Those who find "cracking the books" an impossible task must somehow look for a way to enter into the adult world in a productive manner.

The United States military offers many openings for the person who has some indecision in his or her life. According to George Cornwell, assistant principal at Palmer High School, "It [the military] helps students who are unclear about career choices to grow and mature and find out more about themselves which helps in making decisions about their future." Training is offered for just about every field imaginable. Also, there is great financial security in the military with good steady pay and many benefits.

Another reason the military is good is that it can reform and essentially force individuals to respect authority. Students who are not accustomed to following directions will quickly learn the value of obeying orders.

In conclusion, while college is a choice for many high school seniors, it is certainly not the only choice available. Nor is it the best choice for everyone. The military offers a distinct alternative, which opens up a door to those who will not follow the traditional college route.