The U Plan | Teen Ink

The U Plan MAG

The dream of affording college might now become a reality. Beginning February 1, individuals may take part in a new savings plan for college tuition in Massachusetts. This allows people to lock in the tuition at today's prices for Massachusetts colleges and universities participating in the U plan.

A $50 enrollment fee is required. Installments are as little as $25 a month or can be made in a lump sum of up to $15,000 this year. This is a very rewarding investment in an individual's future. The investment will be used to buy state bonds that can be cashed in five or more years to pay a guaranteed part of tuition at 67 colleges and universities, even if the price of tuition goes up in the future. Some of the colleges and universities participating in the U plan are: Boston University, Amherst College, Clark University, UMass-Boston, Regis College, Northeastern University, Lasell College, and Wheelock College.

The U plan does not guarantee admission to the college nor does it cover room and board charges. If the student does not go to the college or if the saver needs the money for another purpose, they can get their money back, adjusted for inflation.

This plan would be ideal for people who cannot afford to pay for college with the rising prices. With the U plan the student can put money into this plan and save money as the price of tuition rises.

The U plan is offered by the Massachusetts Educational Financing Authority. An application can be obtained by calling I-800-449-MEFA. Now is the time to plan for the future. f