Thought Process Of A College Admissions Officer | Teen Ink

Thought Process Of A College Admissions Officer MAG

By Anonymous

   I sit here reading one essay after another for hours day after day. I'm growing tired and my back is strained from sitting. Each one seems to read the same as the last: "Your school is great because ... and I should be accepted because ..." Although they are possibly all qualified, I'm tired of the same story.

Ah, here's one. Will it be another monotonous essay like the rest? Someone by the name of Rochelle Brenner. She is an athlete, a scholar and involved in numerous extracurricular activities. Who isn't?

What's this - she has a great sense of humor. She has written a unique essay which proves she is outgoing, and while she is obviously dedicated, she has a winning personality. She aspires to be like her idol, Barbara Walters. She wants to attend this school because we can provide an outstanding education and superior experience. At the same time, she will become an involved figure on campus to improve the school. Finally I have found a dynamic essay that truly accentuates the type of person she is.

I have to put this in the Admit box.

Oh, no. Now I have to read more applications. Here's one.

Blah ... blah ... blah. -