College | Teen Ink

College MAG

CollegeCollege. Are kids really ready for it? Are they prepared enough for it? Are they taught what colleges want, how to write their essays and what classes to take? Most can answer yes to these questions. I sure can and I am only a freshman in high school. It seems like a lot of teachers are talking about college. Sure, it is one of the most important times in one's life. Colleges like students who take the most challenging courses. Oh, please, you feel like saying, listen to yourself, you are only a freshman!

There are a lot of students who firmly believe in preparing themselves for college, which is not a bad thing. I think the whole college thing is getting a little out of control. Students watch movies about college, read about college and talk about college with their teachers. It is beneficial, but when you are a freshman and already know all about college, that is kind of ridiculous. High school is a time to enjoy, not a prep course for college. Let students enjoy high school one step at a time. That way college will be even more special.

i love this !

on Jun. 2 2011 at 10:23 pm
annakwrites BRONZE, Downers Grove, Illinois
Oops, that was supposed to be a reply to DifferentTeen... my bad.

on Jun. 2 2011 at 10:22 pm
I agree that high school is a vital time for students to be preparing for college, but speaking as a high school AP/honors level senior, I assure you that if you center your high school career solely around "collegecollege" you may find yourself becoming "burned out" very quickly. In my opinion, the most difficult aspect of high school is balancing the fun (homecoming, sports, hanging out, etc.) and the academics (AP classes, GPAs, ACT, etc.).  While it's very important to work very hard and to challenge yourself in the classes you take, don't get too wrapped up in the numbers game.  Remember that most colleges don't look into just the numbers--it's important to be involved in things like community service, music, athletics, or whatever floats your boat!  And trust me, loading up on AP/honors classes is going to make you need that friend silly time to de-stress in order to keep you sane and to keep up your motivation.  For some good quality advice about high school, check out my article "How to be an Honors Student: an Introduction".  Keep up the hardworking attitude!

on Feb. 17 2011 at 4:11 pm
DifferentTeen PLATINUM, Seaford, Delaware

"There’s no such thing as true love, just spurts of insanity—falling over and over again, thinking that won’t happen to me"

Hmm, what to say. Well, first off I stongly disagree. High School should not be about having fun, it's another step towards building a future for yourself. Just like college, and even middle school. Everything you do affects your life as it is now and what it will be when you are older. Sure, its not a bad thing to enjoy your school work, but you shouldn't take things so lightly. I'm an 8th grader and I'm thining about my future/college already, and I think its wonderful. Not many kids these days think about what they're doing now and how it will affect their entire life. High school is most definately a prep course for college, teens right out of middle school could never surivive in college. It takes a lot of responsibility to further your education, and I think its very important.

on Jan. 18 2011 at 4:42 pm
hi im doing a project about college i got stuck i read your essay and you gave me ideas thanx ill rate your essay 5 stars it really helped me so yeah thanx