Community College This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Here I am, a senior. After four years of high school I have learned a lot of lessons. Some were good and valuable, the type I got when I actually went to class. I have also learned others just from growing up and being around other teenagers.

I started senior year with a 1.5 GPA, which is not even close to what I am capable of. The last three years I fooled around and cut lots of classes. Now, I can easily say that it is the only thing in life that I regret. Next year I will watch most of my friends go to college while I lost that chance. This does not mean that I am giving up on my dreams, but when I started high school, my goal was to get great grades and go to a competitive college. Now I'm hoping to go to a community college so I can improve my grades to reach this goal. This year, I pretty much have an A average in my classes, which just goes to show that when I apply myself, I can do amazingly well.

At first I blamed the people around me for my bad experiences, but I've learned that it's my fault when bad things happen. In the last three years I realized that I am the only one in control of myself. While making my teachers and my peers the excuse for not wanting to go to class, I developed a huge lying problem. I found myself making excuses for cutting, hoping that others would believe me; the only person who really believed me was me.

If I could start over, I would in a heartbeat, but I can't, so instead of beating myself up, I try talking to younger teenagers about the importance of doing well in school by explaining the situation I got myself into.

Community college looks like a great opportunity. I am looking forward to taking many credits and receiving good grades. Some say going there means staying home and not having the thrill of being away at college, but I see community college as a year to turn my life around. It's my ticket out of here to wherever I want to go. I have another chance to make my future and I've promised myself I won't mess up.

Next year I will apply myself, as I am this year. They say we need to study history so we won't repeat our past; I've studied my personal history, and will avoid my mistakes in the future. I am ready for the next task in life, the only question is, is it ready for me?

KristyLynn_TM said...
Oh, woah. Congers? We'll be going to RCC together. And for many of the same reasons apparently. I've promised to apply myself the rest of this year and next year also. Lets make it happen.

KristyLynn_TM replied...
Jan. 29, 2011 at 9:34 pm :
I actually just realized that this article is a little bit older than I thought it was. I hope things went well for you. :)

ReflectionsofYou said...
Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:48 am:
FINALLY, someone writes a little bit about community college! Yours is the only article I'v seen. It was easy to understand and had a good flow. Good luck at college. Have fun and don't be too hard on yourself.