Moving Forward This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Moving on from everything I’ve ever known is drastic, but I can’t wait for it to happen. Thoughts of leaving my family and friends crossed my mind a million times last summer as I realized it could very well be my last one at home. It’s weird to think I’ll be on my own next year, independent of my mother and sisters. I don’t know where the time has gone, but I’m glad my time in high school is finally running out.

When I started thinking about college, I had no clue what I wanted to do. I did, however, have one goal in mind: to be the first woman in my family to go to college and actually graduate. Over time this goal turned into something I really wanted, and I grew more determined. Now, I can’t wait to start my own life. I know it’ll be difficult, but I’m prepared for the challenge.

Believe me, there are times when I think about leaving the nest and freak out. When I get cold feet, though, I think of all the times I’ve wished I were anywhere but here. It’s also weird that I’m in my senior year, and in a matter of months this “journey” will finally arrive at its destination - graduation. Sometimes I’m surprised I’ve made it to this point; so many (including me) doubted I would.

Overall, these past few years have been crazy, but they have taught me a lot. I’d be lying if I said I learned a lot academically, but I have learned a lot about who I am and exactly who I never want to be. Surprisingly, it turns out that it’s not about social status, or your best friend, but rather that you remain an individual. Someone once told me, “About high school, the most valuable advice I can give you is to get in and get out!” That’s exactly what I did, and believe me, I can’t wait to get out.