Do Minorities Deserve College More Than The Rest? This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Poor and starving kids in East St. Louis walk through halls laden with sewage. They don’t even have the chance to go to school half the time because the sewage is toxic and could harm them. More than half of the senior girls are pregnant and don’t care about life anymore. This is something that every kid that is working hard to get into a good college is thinking about. They are wondering if they won’t get into the college of their choice because of affirmative action. Affirmative action gives you extra brownie points on your resume, which makes you more likely to get in. Many teenagers that have great grades and test scores are not getting accepted because they are not part of a minority. The arising question is affirmative action the right thing to do or is it just making racism worse? Or is it fair that someone that is poor and came from a bad school should get extra points, because they didn’t get as good of an education as someone who went to a private school? What has America come to, accepting minorities just to have diversity in their school, even if it is sacrificing integrity and school pride.

Working hard your whole life and having a resume as long as the Chicago Towers is high and still getting rejected by a college. That’s what affirmative action is, it allows minorities extra points on their resume just because they are a minority. I don’t about you but I don’t think that is even close to being right. Someone could work their whole life to get into a good college and another person could coast their whole life and get in just because they are a minority. You should have to meet standards because it is not fair that this should ever happen to any hard working American. We should make sure that person that gets in on extra points is actually tries and doesn’t waist it, and if he waist it then they should kick him out and accept the hard worker. Sounds like something Obama would support.

True the people in poverty stricken areas don’t have the best education, but they could make the most of it and try harder. By trying harder and showing the colleges that you try hard even though you don’t go to the best school will set you apart from the rest of the applicants. I think they should look longer and harder at your resume if you come from a poverty stricken area, but not give you bonus points and especially not a lot. As long as you have good grades and try hard then they aren’t going to be beat out by some lazy rich kid.

Racism has been around for hundreds of years and will probably continue for a while. Race should have nothing to do with getting into college, it should be based on how you perform. So many people have tried to create diversity in the colleges, but is that really better? Do we want to accept someone that might not be as good as another person but is a minority? This could lower their schools average test score if you do this too much, but if you control it then it could give benefits. If you control it then you will have diversity and keep the high test averages. Besides when you use affirmative action it is just flipping the tables on racism. You just started to accept a lot of minorities but now you left out the middle class white person and that’s not fair. So you have to find that perfect median or else it doesn’t work.

Lowering test scores to create diversity in colleges, and sacrificing school pride to make sure the diversities get an equal shot at getting in. If you are trying to get into Harvard and get rejected because they accepted someone that isn’t as smart as you, but they are a minority that doesn’t seem fair. It’s not fair that the smarter person wasn’t accepted because he isn’t a minority. This is why many people don’t like affirmative action, but I think there can be a balance between minorities and none minorities. That is what affirmative action should try to do! It should create that balance so that smart people get a chance and the minorities that try hard and work hard get a chance.

Writer_Jordan said...
Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:08 pm:
I see where you are going, but your argument is really double-sided. There are not only some poverty-stricken people, but a lot! It just so happens that poverty is  more associated with certain communities, such as African American ones. African Americans aren't the only ones--Latinos get benefits too. I say that college help should only be offered for people who are having financial difficulty. Being half black and half white, I feel that benefits should be off... (more »)

Amelia_R-FThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:03 am :
If you think all deserving people should get an equal shot, why are you against the practice that gives equally hard-working kids at a disadvantage exactly that?

RyanTyler said...
Feb. 13, 2012 at 7:08 pm:
Just because someone is a minority doesn't mean they into college just because they are a minority. I am black and have to work my butt off in order for colleges to look at me. In fact the SAT were created to keep minorities out because it was found that they have lower scores in that area. If anything it's getting harder for minorities to get in, not easier. I'm sorry that you probably didn't get into the college that you wanted, but just because YOU didn't get in doesn't mean that the people ... (more »)

Zinkerman replied...
Mar. 7, 2012 at 11:01 am :
Actually I wrote this as a freshman in high school, and the fact of the matter is what colleges are doing is wrong period.  you can't reverse racism because pretty soon myself being a caucasion could say that I am being ratially profiled. 

Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:06 am :
You're not being racially oppressed. You have no idea what that's like. Sorry, but I think it's insulting to those who really are to say that you have been, too.

P.S. I am also caucasion.

The~Watcher said...
Feb. 13, 2012 at 4:36 pm:
You know, your arguments would be a lot stronger if you presented them without misspelled words, grammatical mistakes, or irrelevant political sidenotes.

Zinkerman replied...
Mar. 7, 2012 at 11:08 am :

Excuse me for writing this as a ffreshman in highschool if you really want my opinion in correct gramatical format I can give it to you.

Andres V. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 13, 2012 at 3:03 pm:
Most would say that the largest majority of actual learning that happens at college is social. Therefore, with no majority and diversity of thought, belief, and background, students are deprived of a substantial portion of their education. I agree that Affirmative Action is not the solution, but even those who support it know that it isnt. Instead, it's a gateway. It is a gateway for kids who don't get as high grades as you may because they CAN'T due to their circumstances, and not because they ... (more »)

to.hold.the.sun This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
You had some good points, but, to me, it seemed more like a rant than an article. There's a lot in your ideas, but if you addressed counter-arguments more and used a more professional tone. You could really have a great argument here because it is an issue. I do feel like it's blown a little out of proportion, though.

to.hold.the.sun This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 9, 2011 at 6:26 pm :
*argument would probably be a better word in the first sentence; not article.

Writer_Jordan replied...
Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:11 pm :
You're right, it is blown out of proportion. When I was reading it myself, I did feel slightly offended. I am an A-B student. Many of those minorities can do just as well as the author of this...he's very shallow

Zinkerman replied...
Mar. 7, 2012 at 11:13 am :
If you think I'm shallow then think what you want.  I can write another paper with true fact and my true opinion on those facts but you'd just think I'm even more shollow.  I'm truley sorry you can handle or don't like the truth, but I promise the truth doesn't go away.

Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:08 am :
Zinkerman, I'm sorry, but you're so trapped in your world of privilege that you have no idea what it's like to not have it.

letthebigdawgeat said...
Feb. 10, 2010 at 3:42 pm:
Me and my friend applied for some of the same schools. I'm white, and he is Indian, both born and raised in the U.S. My grades are by far better than his, my involvement much more, and overall a much more powerful resume. He got into everything. EVERYTHING. Even schools where his grades didn't match up. I got denied from a few and deferred from a few, and accepted into a few. I find it hard to believe that race doesn't have a play in this, in fact I'm sure that's the onl... (more »)

Misterthedude said...
Feb. 6, 2010 at 12:39 pm:
First off, TYPING LIKE THIS DOES NOT HELP MAKE YOUR POINT. Anyway, no they dont. Would you rather the black or hispanic doctor who has lower grades but got into the same medical school as then the white or brown doctor who had higher grades. If their grades arent even high enough to get into the school, how do they even plan on passing the exams? But no, reverse racism is acceptable because the population with a history of slavery and persecution against it is benefiting from it :)

zinkerman replied...
Nov. 28, 2010 at 8:55 pm :
You make no sense?????? your contredicting yourself by starting off with what i said then saying that it is ok to have reverse racism just because of slavery???? no thats not ok you idiot

fefe176 replied...
Aug. 19, 2012 at 2:48 am :
So many things i disgree with everyone in this page, but sir, mam, whichever; you absoultely make no sense this is a 'LOL" moment but i had to say something.

SonOfApollo said...
I AGREE,
I AGREE THAT SMARTER KIDS SHOULD BE ACCEPTED INTO COLLAGES.
I'M A MINORITY, BUT I MAKE ALL A'S
MY LOWEST GRADE WAS A 95 THIS TIME.
WILL I GET IN COLLAGE, I HOPE SO
STUDENTS SHOULD BE ACCEPTED INTO COLLEGES BASED ON GRADES NOT MONEY OR RACE

earlybird_8 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 4, 2011 at 6:52 pm :
It's spelt "college". Unless you mean you got accepted into a bunch of works of art, like "I got my picture taken a bunch of times and someone cut them up and made a collage out of them", it's an "e" instead of an "a".

SonOfApollo replied...
Feb. 12, 2011 at 8:57 pm :
really??? I feel dumb