Teen's Obstacles: Personal Stories of Triumph | Teen Ink

Teen's Obstacles: Personal Stories of Triumph

By Anvi2010 BRONZE, Hisar, Other
Anvi2010 BRONZE, Hisar, Other

Introduction:-

Imagine yourself struggling in life as a teen. How would you feel about that? Do you overcome it? 

Yes, as a teen we have got a lot on our plate. We have to make decisions that decide our future. We can be struggling in our school but we have to show a forced and fake smile to others. This can lead to mental stress, insecurities in ourselves, self-doubts, and many more things which affect our lives.

A girl who was giving her boards took the wrong step to suicide because of academic pressure from her parents to score ninety-five percent in her boards exam. She left a note for her parents. On that note, it was written that she can't continue more and cannot handle the pressure and high expectations for her grades.

I am also struggling in my school life as a teen. It is harsh, I am bullied on the bus by a girl who had made a team of juniors against me. The juniors and that girl don't talk to me and unfortunately, the girl is in my class too. She used to tell the juniors not to talk to me. I thought I would change my bus to cut off her from my life but I think that she still thinks about me either bad or good. She made me depressed by talking bad about me. I sometimes want to cry about it. I consulted my teachers, my mother, and some of my friends and all of them gave me a piece of advice which is the best advice. It is just to ignore her and don't care about her and to live my best life. And I also am inspired by a quote-"Silence is better than unnecessary drama." 

Some of the obstacles faced by teens are:-

Identity and Self-Esteem: Adolescence is a period of self-discovery, and teens often grapple with questions about their identity, values, and sense of self-worth. They may compare themselves to their peers and struggle with body image issues.
Peer Pressure: The desire to fit in and be accepted by peers can lead to peer pressure, which may involve making choices that go against one's values or better judgment. This can include experimenting with drugs, alcohol, or engaging in risky behaviors.
Academic Pressure: The academic demands placed on teens can be overwhelming. High expectations from parents, teachers, and themselves can lead to stress, anxiety, and burnout.
Bullying and Cyberbullying: Bullying, whether in person or online, can have severe emotional and psychological effects on teens. It can lead to feelings of isolation, anxiety, and depression.
Future Uncertainty: As teens approach adulthood, they may feel overwhelmed by the uncertainty of the future, including career choices, higher education, and financial independence.

Impact of the obstacles on a teen: -

1. Emotional Distress: Teens may experience heightened emotions such as anxiety, depression, frustration, and anger as they try to navigate the challenges they face. These emotions can impact their mood, behavior, and interactions with others.

2. Academic Performance: The stress of academic pressure and balancing responsibilities can affect teens' ability to focus, concentrate, and perform well in school. This can lead to declining grades and a sense of inadequacy.

3. Social Isolation: Teens who face challenges in their social relationships, experience bullying, or struggle with fitting in may withdraw from social interactions, leading to feelings of loneliness and isolation.

4. Delayed Developmental Milestones: Teens who struggle with certain challenges may experience delays in reaching developmental milestones, such as gaining independence or establishing a sense of identity.

5. Risky Behaviors: Peer pressure and the desire to fit in can lead to engagement in risky behaviors such as substance abuse, and dangerous activities.

Conclusion: -

The obstacles faced by teens are diverse and impactful, influencing various aspects of their lives. These challenges encompass issues like identity, peer pressure, academic stress, mental health, and more. While they can lead to negative outcomes, such as emotional distress and strained relationships, they also offer opportunities for growth and resilience. Providing support, resources, and open communication is crucial for helping teens navigate these obstacles successfully and emerge stronger on their path to adulthood.

This article includes my personal story. Some people reading this may find it useful or offensive.